Aruba Central

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

IOS devices joining the network showing their Mac Addresses instead of Device names.

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  IOS devices joining the network showing their Mac Addresses instead of Device names.

Posted Mar 01, 2022 10:59 AM
    Hi all,
    I just found out with the release of 15.1 above iOS, devices when joining the network on the wlan not showing their names anymore instead their mac addresses. It is a new feature from apple to use private addresses when joining the network. Here's the article I found:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Is there a way to avoid this in Central? I basically need to know which devices is joining the network.
    Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Selomon Kifle
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: IOS devices joining the network showing their Mac Addresses instead of Device names.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2022 07:15 AM
    I believe that Apple is not using DHCP option 12 (hostname) anymore. If you use dot1x you will see the clientname/username. Ofcourse client profile still classifies IOS devices like iPAD/IPhone so you know what kind of devices are on the network. If you use Azure AD or Google Workspace you can also onboard those devices with Central Cloud Auth (config Global->Security->Authentication & Policy). Devices will authenticate based on EAP-TLS with Azure AD name.