Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

possible to test dhcp on an IAP

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  possible to test dhcp on an IAP

Posted Oct 22, 2021 09:34 AM
    Hi,
    I'm wondering if it is possible to do a "dhcp test" on an IAP through Airwave. I'll try to explain what I mean.
    Say that all IAP's in a site have vlan 10, 20 and 30 configured on their LAN interface and let's say that one vlan on one AP needs troubleshooting. Is it possible to check on that particular AP if it can get a dhcp address in (one of) those vlans?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
    Bram D'hoore

• 2.  RE: possible to test dhcp on an IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2021 11:12 AM
    There is no test like that.  The IAP only gets an ip address on its management VLAN.  If it doesn't get an ip address, you will not be able to communicate with it.  The user VLANs are typically trunked to the IAP, and the IAP does not maintain an ip address on those VLANs (unless it is the management VLAN), so there is no way to test.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: possible to test dhcp on an IAP

Posted Oct 25, 2021 02:59 AM
    In my previous job, we had Aerohive (sorry to post this on Aruba forum). There we had this kind of test. The AP's didn't have an IP address in every client vlan, they just could do a dhcp test in the vlans that are available on their LAN interfaces. I guess this test is done by doing an "on demand" dhcp request in vlan x from the AP. It often saved me some time in the past.
    So I was wondering if this is also available on Aruba IAP's.

Bram D'hoore

• 4.  RE: possible to test dhcp on an IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2021 05:09 AM
    You can certainly request the feature here:  https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: possible to test dhcp on an IAP

Posted Oct 25, 2021 07:46 AM
    Thanks, I added it to the list of ideas :)

Bram D'hoore