Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial IoT (IIoT)

View Only
last person joined: 13 days ago 

Forum to discuss the HPE Aruba Networking Edge Service Platform and all associated products and solutions for any type of IoT or IIoT application. Included are IoT technology partners (eg. EnOcean, Microsoft, and Zebra) and IIOT technology partners (eg. ABB and Siemens)
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 6300M Switch|| CDP and LLDP difference

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Aruba 6300M Switch|| CDP and LLDP difference

Posted Sep 26, 2022 12:25 PM
    Hello Everyone,
    I am working on Aruba 6300M series switch, Just want to understand what's difference between CDP and LLDP neighbors through aruba prospective, sometimes I run a command
    show lldp neighbor-info or sometimes I run show cdp neighobr-info , this output shows some same some different information etc.

Does both CDP and LLDP enabled by default on aruba switches, or we have to enable these,
    another thing can we use only one either CDP or LLDP.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 6300M Switch|| CDP and LLDP difference

Posted Jan 05, 2023 08:22 PM
    As you know, CDP is a Cisco-proprietary protocol. 
    According to documentation: By default, CDP is enabled on each active switch port. This is a read-only capability, which means the switch can receive and store information about adjacent CDP devices, but does not generate CDP packets (except when communicating with Cisco IP phones.)
    So really you are not sourcing CDP packets, only reading them if you get them from a Cisco device.
    So two 6300M wouldn't be able to see one another with CDP according to theory.

For lldp to be active, you have to activate the agent on the switch, which will then allow transmission and reception of LLDP packets on all interfaces. You can pick and choose whichever information you want from it too.

If you have a mixed (Aruba and Cisco) deployment, then you can have both. Else, no reason to keep CDP but you may require LLDP for PoE considerations.

Cheers.