Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

NAD Bulk Import - XML Size Limit?

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  NAD Bulk Import - XML Size Limit?

Posted Sep 29, 2022 11:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm working on getting around 750 NAD/network switches imported into CPPM and tossed into a couple groups, and while it works fine if I do a handful of devices at a time, I get an error "File contains invalid XML tags. Try export to see the valid XML tags"  if I try doing all of them at once, or even half at once. Is there a known size/qty limit on imports at once? And similarly, when adding devices to a group, it looks like it puts all of them in a single field in a single tag.. is there a known limit on the length of that string? I imagine doing hundreds at once would be problematic at best, but I'm not sure how crazy to go with splitting up the imports.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: NAD Bulk Import - XML Size Limit?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2022 10:35 AM
    I'm not aware of a limit, but 750 should work. Could it be that one (or more) of the NADs has special characters or so that break the XML?

How sure are you that the XML is completely valid? Just a small error or missing or additional tag/character can break the XML. If you open the XML with Chrome/Firefox, that should show the XML structure if it is correct.

If you share your file with Aruba Support, they may check what is wrong. I'm not aware of a practical limit of devices in a device group (at import) either.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: NAD Bulk Import - XML Size Limit?

Posted Oct 03, 2022 11:07 AM
    Good morning, and thanks for the follow-up,

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any specific issues in the XML itself... VS Code/etc. showed it as valid, and the only special character any of the device names/descriptions have is a hyphen. However, we ultimately decided that we'd be better off skipping using a manual import and instead went over to using the API. We ended up having to do two calls for each device - one to add the device, and another to add all* devices to a group - but ultimately it worked out fine and everything is populated now. We did try setting the group value in the initial NAD add call, but it appears to ignore/drop whatever value you supply.

*The one caveat(?) that we ran into was a bit of a logic thing.. doing a Patch on the value for group membership just replaces the entire list with whatever new value(s) you specify, so we'd initially nuked our list. We rebuilt that and then refactored the code a bit to first grab the current list contents, shove that into a dictionary, append any new values and send that over.