Security

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

Posted Nov 30, 2020 03:48 PM
    Hello,

We have a CPPM cluster of 9 appliances (one 5k, eight 25k) in a fairly busy environment. Currently, the Publisher is enabled as Insight Master and one Subscriber is enabled for Insight. The Insight DB file is about 10G. Is it best practice to enable Insight Master on the Publisher or is there a more optimal way to configure Insight?

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------------------
    Michael Dickson
    Network Engineer
    University of Massachusetts Amherst

• 2.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 30, 2020 04:05 PM
    AFAIK best practice is to run the Insight Master on one of the Subcriber nodes. This is recommended to keep resources available on the publisher node background processes.

Because you have a really large database, please work with Aruba TAC support.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 3.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

Posted Nov 30, 2020 05:27 PM
    Yes, the DB has evolved over the years. I agree it makes sense to move Insight off the Publisher. I'll plan for doing that.

Thanks,
    Mike

Michael Dickson
    Network Engineer

• 4.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

Posted Nov 30, 2020 10:16 PM
    Lets start by reviewing what Insight Master means, this ONLY means which node with INSIGHT DB is responsible for producing any automated reports..... SO.... if you have no reporting automated then there is little to zero overhead of this settings, even if you have a few reports the overhead should be small unless the reports are churning through millions of records to produce the reports. 10G is large but not crazy and not a size I'd worry about.

the real question to ask is , What is the PUB actually doing in the nine-node cluster, is it processing authN, performing lots on integrations to ingest data and update the EndpointDb processing lots of Guest account creation or is it just sat there, running the custer and receiving netevents because INSIGHT is enabled and processing these... I could ask more about the other SUB with INSIGHT enabled, how busy is that node...... as a rule of thumb in a network this large {Saying that based upon the fact you have nine nodes} I wouldn't mix authN and Insight.... 

HTH

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 5.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

Posted Dec 01, 2020 11:33 AM
    HI Danny, Thanks for responding.  The PUB (25k) does not handle endpoint auths. It hosts the CP page and does Guest account creation and MAC Auth registrations. None of which is particularly high volume. I seem to recall years ago hearing that making the Publisher an Insight Master was ok in our environment because of the relatively low resources it uses. There are only a couple of automated reports that get run. While reviewing the Release Notes for our upcoming 6.7 - 6.8 upgrade I thought it was a good time to check back in about this.

Our biggest traffic generator is 802.1x authN. Unfortunately, the other enabled Insight DB is on a SUB (25k) that is doing its share of .1x AuthN. All of the 25k SUBs share that burden fairly equally.

Mike

Michael Dickson
    Network Engineer

• 6.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

Posted Dec 01, 2020 12:34 PM
    Mike, 

Then IMO, your in a pretty good place with the PUB, my only guidance/advise then is to ensure the SUB with the other INSIGHT Db running is 'closely' monitored. The primary goal of that node is authN, you don't want netevents {Insight records} tha tare being consumed from ALL other nodes in the cluster to become a drain on resource.  Depending on how you are loading the dot1X from the NAD's to the SUB's, if your using a real ADC/SLB and the other nodes can take the load from this node, consider that, if your using the AOS load-balancing, consider moving this SUB off the group..... but this decision to remove this node from authN processing is really driven by how busy it is, or not.

HTH

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 7.  RE: Insight and Publsiher/Subscriber

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 01, 2020 02:05 PM
    Thanks for the explanation Danny, well done.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE