Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixing AP series [345/535] - can it cause issues?

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Mixing AP series [345/535] - can it cause issues?

MVP
    Posted Apr 19, 2021 04:34 AM
    As of late we're getting complaints about our wireless network, this could be related due to increased presence in our offices but I'm trying to rule out all/most options.

One pattern I'm seeing is that complaints seem to be coming from locations that have a mix of AP535 and AP345 installed (usually 1:1 or 1:2 ratios) which makes me wonder if this mix can lead to issues?

We chose to replace some AP345s with AP535s for future devices that support 802.11ax (WiFi6) but at the moment to the best of my knowledge the vast majority/all devices in our company don't support 802.11ax but not all APs since the 345s are still doing an excellent job.
    So far we only did this partial in a part of our locations, thus I have this comparison of mix vs. non-mixed setup.

Other technical details:
    MM - 2 x VM
    Controllers - 2 x 7030 (cluster)
    AOS - 8.7.1.2-FIPS

------------------------------
    Keeper of the Keys

• 2.  RE: Mixing AP series [345/535] - can it cause issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 19, 2021 07:24 PM
    Could it be that some of your client devices are having trouble connecting to HE enabled access points? This is a known problem that popped up with 11ac Intel client devices in the early 11ax days. It can be fixed by upgrading the driver for those clients or disabling HE in your network (which defeats the purpose of  investing in Wi-Fi 6, but may help you narrow down the issue).

Onno Harms

• 3.  RE: Mixing AP series [345/535] - can it cause issues?

MVP
    Posted Apr 22, 2021 06:19 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion, if problems persist we'll try that.
    From more in depth sleuthing by our helpdesk team it seems that the wifi connection itself is actually stable and the issue is probably elsewhere in the network stack (both an overzealous firewall and problems on the client devices are currently under investigation).

Keeper of the Keys