last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Design - RRPP or IRF

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Design - RRPP or IRF

Posted Jan 17, 2022 12:06 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi,

I'm working on a design for connecting several sites in a ring topology. (see the attachment)

At first, RRPP was the only solution to meet the need.

But now , I'm also seduced by another solution : IRF to virtualize my switchs (HPE 5510) even if several kms separate the switchs.

I have 10G SFP+ LC LR Transceivers.  802.1x needed (ClearPass on a central site)

- With RRPP -> Two differents ring domains . (one RRPP ring (in red) for CCTV and one RRPP ring (in blue) for Data)

- With IRF, I could virtualize 7 switchs instead using RRPP. So I will get 2 stacks of 7 switchs (1 stack CCTV and 1 stack Data).

For me, IRF is possible but what I'm not sure it's the best solution in case of link failure.

What is your point of view about the two choices ?

Thanks

Hervé

------------------------------
    Herve LEON

• 2.  RE: Design - RRPP or IRF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2022 11:20 AM
    Hi @vanuatu,
    I would go with IRF any day. We have seen it work flawlessly and is pretty stable on almost any Comware model.
    ​Not to ignore the ease of managing the stack as one device and keeping an eye on every port from the same screen.
    In case you decide to go with IRF or not, please have the switches on the latest available firmware.

Brian Dsouza