Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

VSF + LLDP MAD

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  VSF + LLDP MAD

Posted Apr 10, 2016 04:08 PM

We have linked two Procurve 5406 switches (v3 modules, FW 16) with VSF, created the stack and everything is working as intended.

I now want to create the LLDP-MAD link to prevent a split situation but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

I know I need an assist device to be linked (trunked) to both members and a simple command which shows the stack the IP address and the community string of the assist device.

HP-VSF-Switch(config)# vsf lldp-mad ipv4 10.0.0.1 v2c public

The question is, do I need to use a dedicated switch as an asset device? The VSF stack is linked with 13 switches with trunks, so using a second trunk in one of those (for the MAD link) could possibly lead to a loop?

• 2.  RE: VSF + LLDP MAD

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 14, 2016 10:45 AM

Interesting question. Personally I don't know even if I think it could be a best practice to use a separate ad-hoc switch for this task since MAD "assist" device (apart other requirements specified on Paragraph 19.19.6, see below) and VSF devices pair must be all on a common IPv4 Subnet.

If so, it would also be interesting to know if - actually (latest Firmware) - a little HPE 1920 series switch (Comware 5) could act as MAD "assist" device.

Also will be interesting to know the relationship between LACP-MAD and LLDP-MAD since both techniques play a role (and are cited) when a VSF stack is deployed.

As reference to VSF and LACP+MAD and LLDP+MAD see Paragraphs 13 (LACP-MAD) and 19.19 (LLDP-MAD) of "HPE ArubaOS Switch Management and Configuration Guide for K/KA/KB.16.01" (March 2016).

• 3.  RE: VSF + LLDP MAD

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 11, 2016 08:50 AM

parnassus wrote: If so, it would also be interesting to know if - actually (latest Firmware) - a little HPE 1920 series switch (Comware 5) could act as MAD "assist" device.

After digging a little bit I found that it looks like the HPE OfficeConnect 1920 Switch series doesn't support MAD passhthrough...

Edit: finally found an interesting Configuration Guide recently published about VSF. Details here.

On page 19 there is a nice "VSF HA topology with LLDP-MAD" configuration example (an Aruba 2920 is used as MAD).

Two statements I didn't understood very well when reading the paragraph "Best practices and configuration notes" on Page 23, it's written:

• For High Availability applications, it is recommended to trunk ports across VSF members on different modules (so the guide suggests to terminate each incoming Trunk - here I mean BAGG - within the same unit - no matter if it is Commander or Standby - but do so using ports located on different unit's modules <- this is to prevent disruption on module fault).
    • VSF is not compatible with Distributed Trunking and Meshing (so the guide states that an incoming Trunk - again here I mean BAGG - can't be splitted between two units, so between Commander and Standby).

Does this really mean that an access Switch connected to the VSF through a BAGG (made of two or more aggregated ports) must terminate all its BAGG members' links on one and only one VSF member without the chance of distributing/sharing BAGG's member links to both VSF members?

The only permitted scenario is when a BAGG terminates inside the same VSF member (eventually on different Modules, as suggested).

• 4.  RE: VSF + LLDP MAD

Posted May 02, 2019 10:59 AM

There is actually a configuration guide.

Vertical Switching Framework VSF: 
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/lms/14/1/ArubaOS%20VSF%20Configuration%20Guide.pdf

• 5.  RE: VSF + LLDP MAD

MVP GURU
    Posted May 07, 2019 04:57 PM

Yes, the URL you posted links directly to the old VSF Guide I wrote about. The reference Thread was removed even if the link to the PDF still exists.

VSF is explained very well now with an entire chapter inside each ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide related to Aruba 5400R zl2 and Aruba 2930F switch series (since ArubaOS-Switch 16.02 up to latest 16.08).