Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

303H Configured as RAP Bouncing on Controller

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  303H Configured as RAP Bouncing on Controller

Posted Nov 21, 2023 11:21 AM

I have an odd issue that I have been looking to resolve without success. We have a remote office connected to our main location through a VPN tunnel. All resources at the remote office are accessible from our internal network. I configured a 303H as a standalone AP without issue, but I am now trying to determine what is wrong with it configured as a RAP.

Once converted to a RAP, the device will appear for maybe 10 seconds or so on the single controller we have and then disappear. This repeats on a loop indefinitely. I am able to SSH into the device, but it will not take my set credentials, or the default credentials. I am also unable to access the GUI of the device as I get a connection refused error. I am able to ping the device normally and on scans it is clear this is the Aruba RAP I am looking for.

The issue appears to be related to missing heartbeats, but the connectivity is there to the controller network wise. I am hoping someone has some insight to this, as I can't access the RAP or determine why it would not be able to see the controller when it is pingable.

• 2.  RE: 303H Configured as RAP Bouncing on Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 04:08 AM

The missing heartbeats is where i'd be checking first. If you loose a heartbeat (so packet loss) then you will have connectivity issues. Also is there any erroneous configuration within your RAP set up such as LMS IPs in the AP System Profile pointing at the wrong IP, perhaps NAT or DNS somewhere causing an issue?

The fact that it is a repeated behaviour once the AP is converted into a RAP suggests that something in the RAP configuration is wrong.

Do you have any more information on your configuration or environment? Is it clustered, what version etc?

• 3.  RE: 303H Configured as RAP Bouncing on Controller

MVP
    Posted Nov 28, 2023 09:08 AM

What firmware version are you running on your RAP/Cluster? There is a bug in early versions of 8.10.0.x that cause the RAP's inner IP not to be assigned correctly & it causes RAPs to bounce regularly. We had an environment of 1500 and we would see anywhere from 10 to 500 drop simultaneously. It happened roughly every 30-60 minutes, sometimes more often. I believe the bug was fixed in 8.10.0.6 and above.

------------------------------
    Michael Haring
    ------------------------------