Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

5.7.0 update released then pulled?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 04, 2012 04:34 PM

I do believe the 5.7.0.x update, released yesterday, was downloadable earlier today (and I got it, file name "V5.7.0-GA_V5.7.0-MSM765.cim" - being new to HP, I am not sure if this update applies to all controllers, but in any case, it's not shown on the downloads page anymore.

Does anyone happen to know why? Obviously, I am not going to install what I downloaded if HP pulled it for some reason. 

TIA

#update

• 2.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 04:58 AM
    Hi, there are different files for different models. The one you downloaded are specifically for the MSM765zl.

• 3.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 07:10 AM
    I was not clear, sorry. I didn't expect that the downloaded file would be the same for different controllers, just that I only saw this update on the 765zl download page, but then it was gone. I would expect that update version would be released for all the models at the same time. In any case, my core question is whether anyone else saw the new version and might know why it was pulled? Thx

• 4.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 07:14 AM

Ah okey, I misunderstood :). You're right that it would be released to all platforms in the same time.. I didnt see when it was up on the download pages but I have a MSM710 in front of me running 5.7.0.0-01-10630 that I got directly from HP.

According to the release notes 5.7.x seems to be the first release to drop support for the 730 and 750 controllers, citing support only for 710, 720, 760 and 765.

• 5.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 05, 2012 08:59 AM

How has it been working for you? I'm curious to see if it will clear up various issues I've been having. I assume you got it early from HP to solve a problem?

Thanks, Tack så mycket

• 6.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 06, 2012 09:54 AM

Actually we got it just as a NFR thingy for lab, and it came prepped with 5.7. I have just been looking around quick in the web gui which shows minor changes, some rearrangement in the settings.. mostly related to VLANs (probably because of the different handling of VLANs in the new 720). Also added are the much-hyped (eh :D) automated work-flows which I guess simplifies the basic setup a bit for people not familiar with the MSM devices.

The release notes are available online if you want to check for fixes on your specific issues.

• 7.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 06, 2012 10:33 AM
      |   view attached

My concern was that 5.7.0 had been released to the public then pulled back, and that is usually for a reason-- I did read the release notes, and I do want to try the update over the weekend, so if you're not having trouble with it, maybe I'll risk it. Retreat is always an option :)

I am sure that I could call and sit on the phone with HP and eventually find out something, but that's the advantage of this community forum, to exchange real world experience reports instead of the controlled lab-focused analysis of engineers at HP. 

thanks

• 8.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 10:35 AM

I found the update and was able to grab that through my SAID, but there weren't any release notes.

• 9.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 09, 2012 10:57 AM

I also found that the release notes link was no longer valid, and I had not saved them, just skimmed them in my browser. So, I opted not to install the update this weekend until HP re-releases it or I get other info.

• 10.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 11, 2012 02:44 AM

the update is available again. The date still says Jan-3, but in any case, this thread is now moot.

thanls

• 11.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 11, 2012 05:45 AM

The link to release notes links to the 5.4.x RL ;)

• 12.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 11, 2012 10:49 AM

Does this link work for you?

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03127429/c03127429.pdf

I find the HP site a constant source of frustration with all the bad links and changing links. Even some of the support links built into web interfaces of current products are dead links. Disappointing and unprofessional.

• 13.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 13, 2012 03:19 AM

It's good to see others have problems with HP website too :)

I was beginning to think I wasn't enough smart to use it properly.

It seriously needs a complete redesign!

• 14.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2012 05:18 PM

The site is one of the things on HP's priority list for redesign, so stay tuned ;)

As for 5.7, they had pulled it with good reason due to a bug, and I can't really say much more than that. Rest assured it's been fixed in the version currently available.

• 15.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 21, 2012 05:31 PM

I was actually told by HP support just the other day that 5.7 is still not yet officially released and is not engineer recommended for use (5.7.0.2 is the one listed as current atm).

Instead we where told to use 5.5.4.0, which of course is NOT available for download. HP is not gaining any points on the handling of MSM software right now.

• 16.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 22, 2012 02:34 AM

@Fredrik Lönnman wrote:

I was actually told by HP support just the other day that 5.7 is still not yet officially released and is not engineer recommended for use (5.7.0.2 is the one listed as current atm).

Instead we where told to use 5.5.4.0, which of course is NOT available for download. HP is not gaining any points on the handling of MSM software right now.

Wow, that is really unfortunate. Thanks for sharing your feedback though, that's how we can make things change. 5.7.x definitely exists, and I've heard of 5.5.4.x, but only in rumors as the next 5.5.x release, which would make sense... but like you mention I don't see how this could be recommended for use. Considering how long the list of known issues is, I think the best idea until the devs manage to fix most of the issues to stick with the version that currently works for you without any, preferably 5.5.3...

As for why 5.5.4 was recommended... maybe they meant to say 5.4.x? There's definitely a lack of information we receive at support about new releases in MSM software though. That is something I've been concerned about (especially considering how many issues we handle for these products) and it's on my list of things to address to the right people for improvement.

• 17.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 23, 2012 12:42 PM

Justin,

I'm agreeing with Fredrik here.   I was also told that 5.7.0 does NOT contain certain known bug fixes (in my case, specific to auto-channel configuration issues on the MSM 422s)  that are contained in 5.5.4.  Yet, 5.5.4 is not officially released (tech support DID give me a ftp link to it however... but I won't install it without geting Release Notes --- which they won't provide).

I guess they are 2 different branches of code/software... I don't get it really.  It's very frustrating.

• 18.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?

Posted Jan 06, 2012 08:16 AM

Can't download too.

• 19.  RE: 5.7.0 update released then pulled?