Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

6200f Inter VLAN Routing

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  6200f Inter VLAN Routing

Posted Feb 05, 2024 12:11 PM

I'm attempting to test InterVLAN Routing before I deploy our new 6200f and 6300f switches. However I'm unable to get my two test laptops to ping each other. I have the laptops connected to interfaces 1/1/1 and 1/1/3.

The laptop in interface 1/1/1 is using IP 10.2.90.5/24 and default gateway 10.2.90.2
    The laptop in interface 1/1/3 is using IP 10.2.99.5/24 and default gateway 10.2.99.3
    The laptops are both able to ping each others default gateway but not each other. This is all configured on the same switch, what am I missing? When I setup the default gateway on the firewall/router the intervlan routing works.
    Here is the show ip routes:

• 2.  RE: 6200f Inter VLAN Routing
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 05, 2024 12:17 PM

Do the laptops have firewalls enabled?  Normally when I see behavior like that it's because Windows Firewall is blocking pings

• 3.  RE: 6200f Inter VLAN Routing

Posted Feb 05, 2024 12:55 PM

I'm able to send a receive pings from the laptops and also ping each other when the firewall is doing the routing. Will windows firewall block incoming ping requests based on the switch doing the inter vlan routing?

• 4.  RE: 6200f Inter VLAN Routing

Posted Feb 05, 2024 01:16 PM

I assume "the firewall" is your current setup and the new switches are what you're moving to?  From the perspective of the laptops it shouldn't matter what is doing the routing as long as the routing is happening correctly.  Are your new switches connected to the existing firewall or are these completely different setups?

Do you have Wireshark installed on the laptops?  Could you do a packet capture while trying the pings to capture both the ARP and ICMP messages?

• 5.  RE: 6200f Inter VLAN Routing

Posted Feb 05, 2024 02:09 PM

So I removed one laptop from the domain so that I could turn off the windows firewall settings which are managed through Group Policy so that I could test your theory. I was then able to ping that laptop from the other but I could not ping the laptop which was still domain joined. Now I'm wondering what inbound rule within Windows Defender is blocking this as I will have to resolve this as I restructure our network. Thank you for your assistance David!

• 6.  RE: 6200f Inter VLAN Routing

Posted Feb 05, 2024 02:40 PM

For anyone curious, the inbound rule that was blocking this is called "Virtual Machine Monitoring (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In)".