Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

Posted Nov 19, 2023 08:54 PM

Hi, I want to deploy 6300M switches as my core and want to stack them.  This simplifies and adds great resiliency by allowing me to split port-channels between switches, which would maintain continuity when a switch in the stack. Additionally, having a stacked core allows me to deploy a campus vxlan network with the benefit of having a single L3 gateway and also have resiliency. 

My only problem is core OS upgrades.  I must maintain data plane continuity or this solution collapses.  I see starting in v10.11 that ISSU was made available, however, the caveat was that only 6400 switches support ISSU.

Are there any plans or roadmap to add ISSSU to the 6300M series switches?  

Thanks for any insights you can provide

• 2.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2023 10:23 PM

yes 6300s support ISSU for their VSF stack 

check the VSF guide 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2023 08:28 AM

ISSU is now fully supported on 6300 VSF without traffic interruption including when the VSF conductor is upgraded since 10.13.0005 (enhancement compared to previous release).

• 4.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 21, 2023 09:57 AM

Hi Vincent! wasn't the ESU (Enhanced Software Upgrade) implementation (tied to VSF) already providing an hit-less mechanism for updating software of a VSF stack without interrupting its communications with connected peers? I mean...considering "multi-homed peers" connected to the VSF stack and not just the simpler case of "single-homed peers" connected to a specific VSF Member...or are you saying that now VSF ESU supports major version upgrade (e.g. from AOS-CX 10.12 to AOS-CX 10.13, which AFAIK is/was unsupported before)? Or are you saying that VSF Conductor is not going to be rebooted by the ESU procedure? I don't understand...

Edit: Or I misunderstood the "ISSU" believing that ISSU means/equals to ESU when speaking about hit-less management in the AOS-CX VSF world (thus Comware IRF+ISSU = AOS-CX VSF+ESU)? I know that another thing is the ISSU on VSX pair when the standalone VSX node has dual MMs (in that case the ISSU is called really ISSU)...but that's another story.

• 5.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2023 12:52 PM

Hi Davide, since 10.13 VSF ESU becomes true ISSU because even for single-homed attached client on any member, including conductor, there is no traffic loss.

It is still supported within the same major release (i.e. from 10.13.x to 10.13.y). This is purely about VSF improvement.

• 6.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 21, 2023 01:13 PM
    Hi Vincent! oh now I understand...but...does it means that with this enhancement on the VSF ESU any VSF Member of the stack is not going to reboot to apply the new software version? that would be great...better than the "usual" ISSU on IRF (if I'm not mistaken in that case the sequenced reboot of any IRF Member is still necessary...and so a single homed peer would be impacted, isn't it?).

• 7.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 11:46 AM

Hi Davide, you got it exactly right. This is ISSU. There should be a youtube session covering this with demo in a while.

• 8.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

Posted Nov 22, 2023 09:44 AM

on page 37 in: AOS-CX 10.13 Virtual Switching Framework (VSF) Guide | (6200, 6300 Switch Series)

There is a note stating: VSF ISSU is supported for upgrades between minor releases.

I interpret this as 10.13.x to 10.13.y ONLY .. and still does not support major upgrades from say, 10.13 to 10.14. 

Would you agree, Vincent?

• 9.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 10:15 AM

Yes, correct, still within same major release (e.g. from 10.13.x to 10.13.y) but now devices connected to conductor do not loose network connectivity (ISSU) (unlike with ESU for Conductor connected devices).

• 10.  RE: 6300M Stack - Any plans to support ISSU?

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 11:13 AM

I do believe that latest enhancements provided to VSF ESU bring with the new ArubaOS-CX 10.13 software release haven't added the support for upgrading between major AOS-CX versions yet - as example, upgrading from AOS-CX 10.(x).(nnnn) to AOS-CX 10.(y).(mmmm) - so that is still unsupported.

Vincent wrote that - with his "It is still supported within the same major release (i.e. from 10.13.x to 10.13.y)" statement - using a "positive wording" by just saying that that what worked before it still works today (and as mandatory requirement, I would add!), so no changes with that regard.