Security

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

Posted Jul 16, 2024 11:42 AM

Due to a config change sanfu in the GUI I have managed to remove the management vlan from the port on the controller, not a problem as we have console access so can connect and fix it in the CLI.

However when the controller was setup does not appear the admin password was recorded, I have tried to use admin/admin admin/aruba also what we would use as a default password on a switch to no avail.

The process documented is to use the user password and the password of forgetme! however this does not work either, I can not imagine we disabled that function as its still enabled on other controllers within our organization.

Is there another way to reset the admin password without wiping the config?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: 7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 08:04 AM

Restoring a backup should always work, but I assume you don't have one.

AFIAK, the password/forgetme! is the only way to get back into a controller without wiping the configuration, but it only works from the serial console (not via SSH), and console access can be disabled/password protected, in which case that doesn't work either. What version do you have installed on the controller?

If the controller is on AOS8 under a Mobility Conductor, or on AOS10 under Central, the configuration is stored there as well.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: 7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 08:42 AM

No I don't have a backup as its not in production so not added into our backup routine.

I was trying the password/forgetme! via console but just kept asking for the password, so not sure if it is has been disabled but I do not think it has been as its not something we have done on our other controllers.

I have found a copy of the config when I was doing a compare with our other controller, so worse case I can tftp that back in after a factory default like I would do on a Cisco switch.

We are running 8.11.2.2 on our controller.

• 4.  RE: 7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

MVP
    Posted Jul 17, 2024 09:37 AM

How were you accessing the CLI?

The documented process only works when directly connected to the console, not over SSH.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 5.  RE: 7205 Reset Admin Password CLI method not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 10:54 AM

We have a ATEN Console server, which is plugged into the console port on the 7205 we then connect to it over a web browser so its a serial connection presented in a web page.