Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

7210 Controller

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  7210 Controller

Posted Jun 23, 2022 01:54 PM
    Is it normal that NTP (Clock) only shows up at the controller level and not the MM level? Yet I can go to the CLI using the MM prompt and add NTP servers without a problem and  the settings are inherited by both the Master and the Standby.

------------------------------
    John Sullivan

• 2.  RE: 7210 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 26, 2022 09:13 AM
    Things configured under the MM level only apply to the MM and the Standby.  Things added under the /MD level apply to all MDs downstream.  There are two different "configuration trees" if you will.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: 7210 Controller

Posted Jun 27, 2022 07:36 AM
    Thank you but it didn't answer my question...pardon me if I misunderstand how to describe the levels correctly. On the GUI interface I have the Mobility Controller level (top level) with the Master and Standby under it and I call it the "MM" level because at the CLI prompt when I type in cd /MM I go to the MM level, so I just call all of it the MM level. I have never tried to use cd /MD before (what level is this?) . All these various names for this tree sometimes makes no sense as documentation isn't always clear.

So, my question again is...
    Is it normal that NTP (Clock) (settings) only show up at the controller (Master and Standby) levels and not at the MM (top) level? Yet I can go to the CLI using the MM (cd /mm) prompt (top level) and add NTP servers without a problem and  the settings are inherited by both the Master and the Standby. 

• 4.  RE: 7210 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 08:45 AM
    Please see slide 14 in the PDF here:  Aruba 8.x Architecture overview & UI Navigation.pdf  These are early slides from 2014 and SC (Service controller) was renamed to MM later.

To answer your question, if you have drilled down into the specific MM or Standby, instead of configured under /MM, that specific configuration would override anything you have configured at /MM
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: 7210 Controller

Posted Jun 27, 2022 10:02 AM
    Thanks, I understand if you have drilled down into the specific MM or Standby, instead of configured under /MM, that specific configuration would override anything you have configured at /MM. What I am asking is why isn't the Clock setting at the MM level in the GUI but it can be set at the MM level from the CLI?
    at the CLI?

• 6.  RE: 7210 Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 11:15 AM
    When you have a Mobility Master (MM) (allmost) all configuration is be done from the Mobility Master. There is no need to login on the Mobility Controller (MC) directly, also known as the Managed Device, that is managed under a managed device group "/md/.....".

To configure NTP you need to configure this under de Mobility Master "/mm" aswell as your managed device group where your controller exist, in my case "/md/HomeLAB".

It no problem to configure right under "/md" if you want all managed devices have the same NTP configuration.

See an CLI example below, but the same can be done in the webgui of the Mobility Master.

Note: The Mobility Master is also known as the Mobility Conductor, for ethical reasons this is renamed in newer firmware, but still we call it MM because the shortcut MC (Mobility Controller) is all ready in use for years.

Hope this helps you!

cd /mm
    configure terminal
    ntp server 87.233.197.123 iburst
    ntp server 194.0.5.123 iburst
    exit
    write mem

cd /md/HomeLAB
    configure terminal
    ntp server 87.233.197.123 iburst
    ntp server 194.0.5.123 iburst
    exit
    write mem

#show ntp servers
    #show clock
    ​

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 7.  RE: 7210 Controller

Posted Jun 27, 2022 12:51 PM
    Thank you, I am getting great information but still my question isn't being answered. See the pictures I had on my last post...

In the GUI interface, is it normal that Clock (NTP settings)) only shows up at the controller level  (Mobility Controller>Master/Standby) but not at top MM level (Mobility Controller)? 

• 8.  RE: 7210 Controller

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 27, 2022 04:31 PM
    Yes thats correct,

For the Mobility Master you can only set clockand ntp settings at the node level (MM01).

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 9.  RE: 7210 Controller

Posted Jun 28, 2022 08:58 AM
    Thanks Marcel,

I find it strange that NTP can only be set at the node level through the web interface but it can be set at the /mm level at the CLI so the settings migrate to both controllers. Any idea why it was coded this way in the web interface? It would be nice to know which commands and settings follow this pattern.