Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

8325 True Redundancy

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  8325 True Redundancy

Posted Aug 23, 2023 05:10 PM

It's a pretty rough drawing, but I'm looking to have true redundancy for our network. I could use a little advice on how I should go about doing this, and if it's even possible. An aruba engineer said it could be done, but so far I'm scratching my head. Any advice?

• 2.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 23, 2023 05:43 PM
    Hi! your scenario is totally possible (what I recognize are: 4 VSX interconnected without loops).

Layout: the top left VSX has two downstream central VSX on the bottom, of these two central VSX the top one is the connected upstream to the top right VSX (while the bottom VSX is not).

• 3.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

Posted Aug 23, 2023 05:47 PM

Hmm, I see, any advice on configuring? I'm having a hard time understanding if i'll do MCLAG or how i'll go about not causing a loop.

• 4.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 23, 2023 06:10 PM
    As said, I don't see any evident loop between those four VSX deployments...and, in any case (as a best practice), a design employing one pair (or more pairs) of switches deployed as a VSX...it should also use a VSX LAG approach (Multi-Chassis LAG or MC-LAG, abbreviated) to fully benefit of the VSX features...and that either when you consider interlinking two VSX together or when you consider connecting any other peer device (server, switch, etc.) to a VSX.

Have you read the VSX Best Practice guide?

• 5.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2023 06:48 PM

Here is the VSX Best Practice guide

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

Posted Aug 24, 2023 11:51 AM

I have! I keep running into the issue, I configure the ports as VSX LAG, however it keeps saying LACP BLOCK. I know I'm missing something somewhere!! Appreciate the help!

I made a normal lag and it does work, but when pinging the other set of 8325s, I get DUP! in the pings every now and then. 

• 7.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 25, 2023 04:47 AM

Please show us sanitized running configurations of (at least) two VSX (and, at least, the part relevant to involved VSX LAGs on both VSX ends). Help us to help you.

• 8.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

Posted Aug 28, 2023 09:17 AM
      |   view attached

Of course! I haven't been able to get back out into the field (my off network sandbox) to pull the configurations. Below and attached see a quick drawing of how I lagged it. I haven't used MC-LAGs, when I did LACP kept blocking all of the ports. I'll be going out later today and finish testing. The current configuration is working, but it did begin to loop when I was testing the redundancy. Appreciate the advise!

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: 8325 True Redundancy

Posted Aug 28, 2023 10:47 AM
      |   view attached

I think I got it! After some testing, I've made some changes. I put the center 4 cores as MC-LAG and the outer cores as normal lags with lacp mode active. So far all redundancy is working. When I did all cores as MC-LAG they wouldn't communicate at all. Let me know what y'all think, honestly lol. I'm pretty new at this so bare with me!

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Cube Core Design v.2.pdf   596 KB 1 version