Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

Posted Oct 24, 2022 01:42 PM
    Is it best practice to set static IPs for the Aruba access points once they pick up an IP via DHCP?

------------------------------
    Peter

• 2.  RE: Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 24, 2022 01:58 PM
    Best practice is to use DHCP for AP addressing. Unless you have a specific reason why your APs need a static address, always use DHCP.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

Posted Oct 24, 2022 02:41 PM
    Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Peter Abene | Wireless LAN Network Engineer

o +1 732-812-8339 • m +1 973-975-7961 peter.abene@vonage.com

23 Main St.  • Holmdel, NJ  07733 • USA

• 4.  RE: Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

Posted Nov 07, 2022 01:22 AM
    may i know why ?what is the benefits of using DHCP over static ?
    always i know to put static for network devices but now i have more than 1500 AP and i found also they are using DHCP

• 5.  RE: Access Points - DHCP or Static IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2022 01:31 AM
    DHCP is beneficial because it will automatically address your Access Points. With 1,500 DHCP saves you the task of manually assigning and configuring each AP with an IP address. Aruba has historically used DHCP options for device management instructions also (telling the AP how to find AirWave or a Controller). DHCP allows you to plug an AP in and then essentially all further management takes place from your Network Management of choice, Aruba Central or AirWave.

DHCP reduces the risk of misconfiguration or IP address overlap. Also, if you need to relocate an AP it can automatically get an IP address in it's new location and won't be statically configured for a particular subnet which might require reconfiguration.