Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

After switching to autonomous mode on MSM460 LAN interface seems not working

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  After switching to autonomous mode on MSM460 LAN interface seems not working

Posted Jan 29, 2024 12:26 PM

I would like to use the MSM460 in autonomous mode. So I tried to reset to factory default, by reset button and by CLI (console port). After that I got access to WebUI every time. That ist normal.

After that I pressed in WebUI "Switch to Autonomous Mode" or I sent in CLI (concole port) the following command: CLI# switch operational mode

Both ways seems to work.

In that process the MSM460 boots.

After that the LAN interface seems not working.

I got no reply from my ping.

The WebUI is not working, I got a timeout.

I have a DHCP reservation configured. So the MSM460 will get a static IP.

It is possible to switch back to controlled mode by CLI. That worked.

I got a ping reply and were able to access the WebUI.

Validations of images header, image personality, firmware supports autonomous mode and checksum are all OK!

I am using MSM V. 6.6.9.1-23594.

I would be very happy to get tipps to solve the problem.

Thank you very much!

• 2.  RE: After switching to autonomous mode on MSM460 LAN interface seems not working

Posted Feb 12, 2024 10:33 AM

The MSM 460 is end of support for quite a time, and I see that fewer and fewer people actually know the details on how these devices work.

Note that even if you are able to make it work, you probably have an access point with known security vulnerabilities, which makes that you probably don't want to deploy this.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: After switching to autonomous mode on MSM460 LAN interface seems not working

Posted Feb 26, 2024 03:46 AM

Had few MSM460 running 6.6.3.0-22868 on autonomous and remaining on controlled mode with MSM720 controller years back for our sensors.

1. If you have MSM controller, what is the AP status ?.
    2. Once AP in autonomous mode, are you able to ping network gateway from AP Console ?.
    3. Are you using .1q for AP ethernet(on switch and AP) ?.

• 4.  RE: After switching to autonomous mode on MSM460 LAN interface seems not working

Posted Feb 28, 2024 05:22 AM

Hi,
    as fas as I remember - there is a difference between MAC@ seen, if the MSM is used as thin (controlled by controller) or thick AP.
    Thin-mode: single MAC (the one seen on the label on the AP)
    Thick-mode: you might/will see TWO MAC@ on the uplink port; the additional one (for the Bridge) is different to the one seen on the label and this bridge-MAC will be requesting the dhcp-ip address.

So check the AP-uplink port on the switch side regarding seen mac and add a dhcp-reservation for the "bridge-mac" and/or verify if you do see a lease on your dhcp-server for the other MAC and ping that IP.

/Jochem