Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-303

This thread has been viewed 66 times
  • 1.  AP-303

Posted Feb 08, 2021 12:28 PM
    Hello,

excuse me but I go through google translation.

I am in Switzerland and I have to install wifi access points in a small house on 3 floors.

I was thinking of installing AP-303s, is this a good solution knowing that there will be more than one using the internet connection at the same time?

Another small question, I know that the Aruba access points communicate with each other with the switch so that one does not have to configure one and the others will take the same configuration afterwards, but do I have to take a special switch?

thank you very much and have a good week!

Marc

------------------------------
    Marc Schaefges

• 2.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 08, 2021 12:36 PM

H, I think 303 is a good choice. Regarding the Virtual Cluster they form between them. It only requires to put all APs in same vlan, same management segment, no aditional switch feature for that to work

Regards

--------------

Jorge Calvi

--------------

• 3.  RE: AP-303

Posted Feb 09, 2021 01:47 AM
    Hello, thank you very much for your help ;-)

But in fact I have to plug them into an ADSL modem, so there aren't enough free outlets, so I was thinking of putting a switch plugged into the modem and then the Aruba on the switch.

But the question is, can any switch do?

Thank you very much and have a nice day ;-)

Marc Schaefges

• 4.  RE: AP-303

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 03:35 AM
    Hi Marc,

The AP-300 series have WiFi standard 802.11ac wave 2 (WiFi5) access points where the AP-500 series are 802.11ax (WiFi 6) access points. Depending on your budget you can choose the AP-303 or AP-505 which are both excellent for low density like home. 

Basicly you will only need a random unmanaged switch (bare minimum), but take in count if your ADSL modem is act as DHCP server and can give out IP adresses in the private range (see RFC1918) to your access points. Also think about how you will power your access points, this could be through a power adapter or power injector (both buyed seperatly) but you will need a wall outlet close to your AP. Or through a switch with POE (802.11af mimimum) capabilities to power your access point over the datacable.

Also take care that the AP-303 and AP-505 are designed for  ceiling mounting. If you don't have the oppertunity for mounting on the ceiliing you can also look for a AP-303H or AP-503H hospitality access points which can be ordered with a desk mount.

If price is an issue, you could also look for the Aruba InstantON productline that's intended for Small Office Home Offices (SOHO) deployments. Like the Aruba AP11D desk edition.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 5.  RE: AP-303

Posted Feb 10, 2021 09:11 AM
    Hi I hope you're fine ?

I was looking a bit at the tabletop version, so the AP-303H model, but it is still more expensive than the classic AP-303 version.

But you told me about the Aruba InstantON versions which I see are much cheaper, but are they suitable in a house with a son who plays video games and a mom who does work at home?

What are the differences between an AP-303H and an Aruba InstantON?

Thank you very much and good day ;-)

Marc

Marc Schaefges

• 6.  RE: AP-303

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 10, 2021 09:28 AM

Instant (IAP) is Aruba's enterprise portfolio with advanced functionality and management through Aruba Central/Airwave. It can be used for medium to large scale deployments. Instant On is Aruba's SMB solution for small businesses and supports limited functionality when compared to Instant. Management is through the mobile app/web portal. We recommend using Instant On for deployments with upto 25 APs and about 100 users per site. 

The InstantON AP11D have 802.11ac wave with 2x2 MIMO streams up to a data rate of 867Mpbs and will be an excellent choice for home or small office.

When talk about gaming over Wi-Fi iám not a big fan of it. Yes it's possible when very close to the AP (in the same room) at 5GHz. But low latency (what's requiered for gaming) is highly depending on the surrounding interfernce in the air. Most game console's only support 2.4GHz what is not suitable for gaming in many ways because of the small and occupied spectrum. On 5GHz it should possible when the spectrum is clear enough and your game console is in a close range. My personal opion is "when you can cable it, cable it!" and this count in special for gaming. 

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 7.  RE: AP-303

Posted Feb 10, 2021 01:43 PM
    Thank you very much for such a quick response :-)

And the principle is the same as with AP-303, we plug the AP11D on a switch and we configure only one and the others will take the configuration automatically?

And if we move from one room to another, the computer or tablet will switch directly and automatically to the most powerful AP11D?

thank you again very much!

Marc Schaefges

• 8.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2021 02:02 AM
    1. Yes, the configurations will be taken automatically after you add the AP to your AIO account. Unlike IAP, AIO works on AIO Cloud, so you need to add the AP to your cloud account (AIO account). Once added, the AP will get the configurations and work as expected. 

2. Yes, roaming works normally when you move the client device from one room to another.

Sriramachandran Srinivasan

• 9.  RE: AP-303

Posted Feb 27, 2021 08:48 AM
    Hello,

So I ordered 3 AP11D, is it enough to configure 1, the other 2 will configure themselves?

thank you very mutch 😉

• 10.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2021 01:57 AM
    Yes, the other 2 will configure itself. make sure they all are connected to same switch and wait until the light blinks green and amber (or) make sure you discover them at the same time using AIO application on your mobile.

If you add them to your aio account also, its going to configure automatically after it is being added.

For all the cases above you need the AP to reach internet. 11D comes with PPPOE capability. Configure PPPOE and connect all 3 devices together. Its the easiest way.

Sriramachandran Srinivasan

• 11.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 09, 2021 05:46 AM

Yes, any switch is ok, as Marcel say in the other answer, PoE is prefered, Gbit ethernet too. From your ADSL side you must offer DHCP service for IP, DNS, GW & do a outside NAT in order to reach internet.

Regards

Jorge Calvi

Systems Engineer - Argentina & Paraguay

Aruba, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise company

M: +54 91150633418

AIRHEADS COMMUNITY FOLLOW US Twitter LinkedIn

A picture containing sign, blue, train  Description automatically generated

Este correo electrónico puede contener información confidencial y es para uso del destinatario exclusivamente. Cualquier revisión, distribución, revelación o uso por terceros de la información contenida en este mail está prohibida.  Si no es el destinatario de este correo, por favor contacte al remitente respondiendo a este mensaje y elimine todas las copias.

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

• 12.  RE: AP-303

Posted Mar 03, 2021 09:57 AM
    Hello, Great, thank you very much, it's very interesting!

I just received 3 AP11Ds that I ordered, I will test them, but I just have 2 more questions.

I see they can work in MESH mode, in practice it would be enough to plug one into the modem and the others would connect to it?

If so, do they connect to each other on a frequency other than WIFI in order to pass through walls?

Last question, below the AP11D, there is an EOPT port, I imagine that this is where we must connect the modem but there are also 2 blue ports E1 and E2 and a red port E3, to what do they serve?

Thank you very much and good day ;-)

Marc

Marc Schaefges

• 13.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 04, 2021 07:31 AM
    Please consider moving this InstantON question to the Aruba InstantON Community forum.

Mesh will use the same WiFi radios, likely the 5GHz one, so they must be 'in-range' of the other APs in order to form a mesh. As mesh is using the same WiFi radios, expect a reduction of the performance to half with every hop. So it is recommended to pull cables wherever you can. For residential use, you may also consider powerline communication (PLC) to extend your network over the power outlets in your home, which is independent of the WiFi frequencies.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 14.  RE: AP-303

Posted Mar 09, 2021 08:04 AM
    Hello, Thank you for your answer !

I have another question, I have to go deliver these 3 devices tomorrow, we agree that a smartphone or a tablet or a laptop will always automatically connect to the most powerful Aruba terminal?

Thank you very much ;-)

Marc Schaefges

• 15.  RE: AP-303

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 08:26 AM
    That mostly depends on the device and in general, this is what will happen in many cases. The client device (smartphone, tablet) will pick the AP to connect to, and the strongest is in general the one that a client will pick. Once you start moving around, the client will need to roam and there are different strategies in there that take the signal strength of the connected AP into account. Some clients aggressively follow the strongest signal and roam fast, some clients will stick to the connected AP until they nearly lose the connection and then pick a new AP. Most clients are somewhere in between. If your AP transmit power is too high, that will make clients stick to an AP longer. Not fully sure how that is handled in InstantON, you may ask details on the InstantON community forum.

If the clients roam, they will roam automatically without the need of the user to reconnect.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.