Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-615 Install woes

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  AP-615 Install woes

Posted May 03, 2023 11:55 AM

AP-615 arrived yesterday.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or these are just a pain to work with.

Prior to these I unboxed a AP-505, plugged it in and it did it's thing and auto configured in aruba central and that was it.

These I tried the same , and never showed up in aruba central.

I went and added them in HPE Greenlake, and they eventually showed listed in aruba central (AC)

Reboot , not showing active in AC. Reset with paper clip, not showing active in AC, Reboot , not showing active in AC, Reset with paper clip, not showing active in AC. Repeated several times, still not showing up.

I was waiting 10-15 minutes after reboot, so Im 2-3 hours into the first one.

Eventually the 2.4 ghz light turned up.  But still not in AC.

setup showed as available, Logged in setmeup, Decide to upgrade the firmware Reboot since I read something as something to try, voila! It's in AC

Take it a while but the radios eventually turn on. Connected cool.

Move on to the next one and I'm on the third cycle of reboot/reset and still no 2.4 led light or showing up on AC?

opened a third one, and same thing.

Is it this hard? Am i doing something wrong?

These shipped with 8.11.0.0, February 2023 build. Upgraded the one to 8.11.1.0

I have 50 to install, don't want to spend days doing this…

I did order the magic orange cable. hopefully I could get some console access and look at a log to see what its doing.

• 2.  RE: AP-615 Install woes

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 03, 2023 04:12 PM

Hi SCMAC00,

First add your device serialnumber/mac to greenlake.
    After that bound a license to your device.
    If the AP can get DHCP and reach the internet it will come available in the default group.

In AOS8 mode your AP work like a Instant AP, where one AP is the VC-Master.
    In AOS10 mode your AP works in standalone mode.

If this is a new setup please upgrade your APs to AOS10, in a AOS10 device group and start config from there.

The boot process of the AP should like this:

When you like to speed things up...

Create a AOS10 group.
    Configure firmware complaince
    Add accesspoints to a the devicegroup before power them on, you can do this thru the API interface.
    Then after a AP come online, it will automatic upgrade to AOS10.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: AP-615 Install woes

Posted May 08, 2023 06:51 PM

So I finally got the console cable today.

AOS 10 is not available for the 610 series as far as i can tell

Connected to one and all I got was error console message 8-0
    was able to get the guy with the ip but couldn't get logged on

rebooted  into APBOOT

upgrade firmware to 8.11.1.0

restarted, it booted, logged in, and its all its doing.

how do I get it to connect to aruba central from the IP, or make it load up the GUI, it appears its not pulling an IP.

radios never turned on either.

Rally not sure what is going on.

• 4.  RE: AP-615 Install woes

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 09, 2023 02:38 AM

Hi scmac00,

According to the datasheet https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP610Series.pdf
    The minimum required firmware is ArubaOS 8.11.x.x or 10.5.x.x.

According to the Aruba Central documentation AP-615 are currently supported with 8.11.x.x or newer.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/2.5.6/content/nms/access-points/supported-platforms/supported-aps.htm

Questions:
    0. Did you try to factory default your AP?
    1. Did you AP get an IP adres?
    2. Can your AP revolve DNS?
    2. Can your AP reached the internet?
    3. Is your license add to central?
    4. Is your device add to central?
    5. Is your license assign to the AP?
    6. Are your AP visible in the default group of central?

Possible you create a Aruba Instant VC cluster, can you login to the webgui of the AP? From the webgui you can go to maintenance > convert.
    Enter here the "URL for Device Connectivity" from table2 on this website, select the correct Aruba Central datacenter. https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/2.5.2/content/nms/device-mgmt/connect-devices.htm

The step above should not be needed when you AP come out-of-the-box, it should find aruba central when it have internet connectivity. But sometimes this does the trick.

If still issues please call Aruba TAC support to assist you.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own