View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 11:00 AM

Hello All,

I am new to networking and struggling with set up an Aruba 2530 switch on my home network.  On one end I have a SonciWall SOHO 250 which acts as my router and on the other end I have a new Unifi AP AC Pro wireless access point.  On the SonicWall I have configured 3-VLANs each with a different DHCP range.  On the Unifi I have configured it to broadcast the three domains.  My goal is to have 3-seperate domains for various members of the house and IoT.  Initially I was using a NetGear 5-port dumb switch with both the SonicWall and UniFi WAP connected.  With this setup everything worked great.  I could log into any of the three broadcasts, pull the appropriate DHCP, and have internet access.  I then removed the NetGear and replaced it with the Aruba 2530.  It's configured with factory settings, everything untagged.  In this configuration, I can connect to the first broadcast domain, pull appropriate DHCP and thus have internet access.  I can connect to the other 2 but they will not pull the DHCP from the SonicWall and thus have no internet.  I would like help/advice with how I can set up the Aruba switch so the UNIFI WAP can pull all three DHCPs.  Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 11:15 AM

Based on your description it would seem you would need to design some VLANs on the 2530 in this scenario. 

Do you have a physical interface assigned on your SonicWall for each of these networks? 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 01:06 PM

Hello Zak and thank you for the response.  I am using the SonicWall X2 as the interface with IP of 192.168.10.168./24 The other three are setup as VLAN Sub-Interfaces so X2:V20  /  X2:V30  /  X2V40.  Their DHCP scopes are set up as follows:

X2:  192.168.10.1 - 192.168.10.167 

X2:V20:  192.168.20.1  -  192.168.20.167

X2:V30  192.168.30.1  -  192.168.30.167

X2:V40 192.168.40.1  -  192.168.40.167

Default Gateways are all 192.168.XX.168

I have a static IP assigned to the 2530 which is 192.168.10.170

I have created a VLAN on the 2530 with an arbitrary ID which includes the port the Unifi is plugged into and the port coming from X2 on my SonicWall.  Both are untagged but the DHCPs for the subVLANS don't seem to make it through.  They did on the dumb switch but not the 2530.  I'm sure it's just a matter of what should be tagged/untagged, DHCP on or off etc.  

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 01:51 PM

Can't speak for why this worked on your old dumb switch, it was likely just acting as an open trunk port. 

But on the 2530 you will need to initialize every VLAN you would like the switch to communicate or "switch" on.

So in your case you would need to setup up VLANs: 20, 30 and 40.

Then you would need to tag those VLANs on the port north to your firewall. As well as south to your APs. 

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 5.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 03:33 PM

Zak, so I created the VLANS as instructed.  Then from each VLAN I tagged the firewall port and the Unifi port.  I left the Unifi port within the Default VLAN (would this be considered best practice?).  I was able to log into each of the broadcast domains and pull a correct IP for each one so I think that worked.  I will play with it for a few days and report back.  If you could let me know what best practice is for where you should have the AP connected (Default VLAN, arbitrary VLAN with everything tagged, etc) I'd be appreciative.  Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 03:54 PM

Well the conversation about Untagged/Native VLAN best practice contains a lot of opinions. And also differ between AOS-S and CX platforms 

However with a 2530 the function of an L2 port must have an Untagged VLAN (Access VLAN). 

So then the question is what VLAN to leave Untagged:

Some people say a "dead-end" VLAN [not tagged to a router], well that's fine if your confident the VLAN isn't stormed with other random broadcast. 

I would say in most cases, simply leave the AP Untagged on the the VLAN you manage the hardware from.  This insures that VLAN is healthy and ease of deployment. 

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 7.  RE: Aruba 2530 Cannot Pass More Than One DHCP Address From Router

Posted Feb 26, 2024 03:59 PM

Wouldn't recommend using the default VLAN. Create a separate VLAN for your management - AP, switch etc.