Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 600 Series Controller Client IP lease time.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Aruba 600 Series Controller Client IP lease time.

Posted Sep 27, 2013 03:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I having doubt on the DHCP lease time in Aruba controller. Hope someone there can enlighten me :smileyvery-happy:

I created 2 segment xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /25 share between guest and staff. It alway having shortage of IP address auto assign to staffs which using other method of authentication instead of captive portal. I read up (If Inot wrong) that if authenticate via captive portal, the controller can be set to monitor if users with no network activties in certain minutes, It will auto disconnect from the network and release the IP address back to the pool but how about authentication not using Captive Portal? 

• 2.  RE: Aruba 600 Series Controller Client IP lease time.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2013 07:09 AM

@OHD wrote:

Hi Guys,

I having doubt on the DHCP lease time in Aruba controller. Hope someone there can enlighten me :smileyvery-happy:

I created 2 segment xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx /25 share between guest and staff. It alway having shortage of IP address auto assign to staffs which using other method of authentication instead of captive portal. I read up (If Inot wrong) that if authenticate via captive portal, the controller can be set to monitor if users with no network activties in certain minutes, It will auto disconnect from the network and release the IP address back to the pool but how about authentication not using Captive Portal? 

The controller can only remove users from the user table.  It cannot return addresses back to the DHCP pool.  The best solution would be to have to separate DHCP ranges and dedicate one to guest and one to staff.  Reduce the DHCP lease time on the range that serves guests, because they are more likely to come and go.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 600 Series Controller Client IP lease time.

Posted Oct 01, 2013 06:14 AM

Hi Collin,

Please confirm when controller return address back to controller? when DHCP lease time expire and devices doesn't contact the controller again?