Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 7240xm Management Port

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Aruba 7240xm Management Port

Posted Mar 25, 2021 07:36 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out how to make one of the ports (0/0/0) become dedicated as management port since on the 7240xm controller does not have a physical port for this. Can this be accomplished if so can you please let me know how? I have port 0/0/2 currently program and used as the controller ip and the main uplink since we are using sfp+. Port 0/0/0 since it will be only for management a rj45 cable is used.

Thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 7240xm Management Port

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 26, 2021 03:19 AM
    Hi PA20,

The Aruba 72xx series don't have a traditional OOBM interface. You should create an dedicated mananagement vlan with a vlan interface and bound this vlan to one of the uplink interface to your backhaul network infrastructure.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: Aruba 7240xm Management Port

Posted Mar 26, 2021 02:11 PM
    Here is how I thought it supposed to be configured but it is not working. As soon as Port 0/0/0 is connected and active I loose the connection to the controller completely, once I unplug the uplink to 0/0/0 it comes back online.

Port 0/0/0 is what I want to make "Management" my VLAN for management is 25
    Port 0/0/2 is what will be the "data" and the VLAN for that is 10.

What am I missing that is not working properly?

Thanks for your help.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 7240xm Management Port
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 26, 2021 03:18 PM
    Hi PA20,

The controller is act like a switch and you have to be sure to not make a spanning-tree loop. Your configuration looks fine to me aslong you connect to a separate oobm management switch.

AFAIK, if 0/0/0 is connected to the same switch as 0/0/2 is seems like you create a loop.

If connect data and management to only one upstream switch your can tag your management vlan 25 under the 0/0/2 interface.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | ACDA | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: Aruba 7240xm Management Port

Posted Mar 26, 2021 03:49 PM
    Hi mkk,

Thank you for your support that made sense. Yes I had both ports going to the same switch and since our core switch can have a trunk port will "all" vlans didnt dawn on me that that was the reason and was causing a loop.

Thanks

Pablo