Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

Posted Nov 15, 2023 02:13 PM

Hi,

we have 1 8320 switch, i want to configure LAG connecting 2 firewalls(2 firewalls in cluster)

Interface 1/1/47---FW1

Interface 1/1/48---FW2

below is the config

interface lag 101
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed all
        lacp mode active
        lacp rate fast
        exit

sh run int 1/1/47
    interface 1/1/47
        mtu 9198
        description to Firewall-1
        lag 101
        exit

nterface 1/1/48
        no shutdown
        mtu 9198
        description to Firewall-2
        lag 101
        exit

show lacp interface

Actor details of all interfaces:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intf        Aggr       Port  Port  State   System-ID         System    Aggr   Forwarding
                 Name       Id    Pri                             Pri    Key  State
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/1/47     lag101     48    1     ASFOE   ec:02:73:4e:d4:bc 65534  101  lacp-block
    1/1/48     lag101     49    1     ASFOE   ec:02:73:4e:d4:bc 65534  101  lacp-block

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

Posted Nov 15, 2023 02:26 PM
    Hi

Two firewalls usually need two lags. Can you try that? What firewalls are you using?

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

Posted Nov 15, 2023 02:59 PM

we have forcepoint firewalls in active active connecting two ISPs and aruba switch

below is network diagram

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 15, 2023 03:09 PM
    Me too. Believe me.

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 15, 2023 02:49 PM
    You can't. A LAG requires that peer device (standalone or not) shows itself as a single logical unit in order to co-terminate LAG's member interface against one logical unit (a cluster of two firewalls - deployed as Active/Active or Active/Standby - doesn't generally presents itself as a single logical unit to peer devices).

What you can do (if needed by design) is to have a LAG 1 from Aruba against Firewall 1 and a LAG 2 from Aruba against Firewall 2, thus two separate LAGs each one with links terminating into one Firewall Cluster member.

• 6.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

Posted Nov 15, 2023 03:15 PM

can you please guide me , whether i can use lag MC or vsx to achive this?

• 7.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

Posted Nov 16, 2023 01:14 AM

according to what you said, i will be able to configure LAG interfaces to only one device, i tested with another aruba switch, the LAG interfaces are up and working, now i did shutdown one interface to Firewall-2 on aruba switch. there is a single firewall connected to lag interface still i am getting lacp blocked.

below lag10 is for my another aruba switch, and lag101 is to one of my firewall

DMZ-ARUBA# sh lacp interfaces

State abbreviations :
    A - Active        P - Passive      F - Aggregable I - Individual
    S - Short-timeout L - Long-timeout N - InSync     O - OutofSync
    C - Collecting    D - Distributing
    X - State m/c expired              E - Default neighbor state

Actor details of all interfaces:
    Intf        Aggr          Port   Port   State        System-ID               System     Aggr       Forwarding
                 Name        Id       Pri                                                       Pri             Key         State
    1/1/1       lag10        2     1        ALFNCD   ec:02:73:4e:d4:bc   65534        10           up
    1/1/2       lag10                                                                                                              down
    1/1/47     lag101     48    1       ASFOE      ec:02:73:4e:d4:bc   65534        101          lacp-block
    1/1/48     lag101                                                                                                            down

• 8.  RE: ArubaOS CX-8320 LACP lag interface forwarding state " LACP-Blocked"

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 16, 2023 05:30 AM

Since you aren't working with a VSX (you have just a standalone Switch connected to both Firewalls and that Switch is the Aruba CX 8360) you should forget about MC LAGs (Multi-Chassis LAGs) because you don't have a Multi-Chassis (Multi-Chassis here equals to Aruba VSX).

This is a design example (well, it's quite real) where a VSX (made of two Aruba CX 8360 "clustered") are connected to a Forcepoint Cluster (a couple of Forcepoint 2105 clustered in Active/Active mode):

You have just one Aruba CX 8360 (thus standalone) so you should eventually end up with a simpler setup similar to this one if you want to have a LAG to each Forcepoint Firewall Cluster member:

As you can see, from the point of view of the Forcepoint Firewall Cluster, nothing changed BUT the VSX versus Standalone switch changes the way you build LAGs on the Aruba side (and it is quite clear why), in one case you use MC-LAGs on the other case you use standard LAGs.

The third scenario is the simplest: no LAGs and simple single uplinks (one for Firewall node 1 and one for Firewall node 2) from the standalone Aruba CX 8360 to the Firewall Cluster...but its validity depends to your desired "resiliency level" considering that each single entity represents a SPoF (Single Point of Failure):

Focus yourself about what you want to really achieve looking at the connectivity between your standalone Aruba CX 8360 and the Firewall Cluster.