View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Assign Management VLAN to AP

This thread has been viewed 53 times
  • 1.  Assign Management VLAN to AP

Posted Sep 15, 2022 10:03 AM
    Hello,

Can anyone assist me with the best method to assign a management VLAN to an AP at group level in central?

We require the AP to boot up in a provisioning VLAN, after communicating to central and being added to a group is it possible for the AP to retrieve a new Tagged management VLAN and then reboot and receive a new IP from our AP management VLAN which will be tagged at the switch port.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Assign Management VLAN to AP

Posted Sep 15, 2022 10:44 AM
    Unsure if that is possible. Please be informed that there are many questions on this forum around people having configured the management VLAN (tagged) for Instant APs and experiencing issues. For me it is a bad practice and feature that has been put in the product for a very specific use case, and you should avoid tagged management VLANs for Instant APs at all times.

Please stick to the default configuration, and make the management VLAN for your IAPs untagged and dedicated (no other devices on it), all other (client) VLANs tagged on the AP ports to make your life easier.

If others have different experiences, please let me know.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Assign Management VLAN to AP

Posted Sep 16, 2022 10:08 AM
    Hi Herman,

Thanks for your response, we have quite a unique requirement. 

Due to our company structure and managing a very large amount of multi vendor AP's and Switches we need to keep the switch config differences as generic as possible. We also use API's to much of the configuration.

So we have to boot the AP up in a provisioning VLAN and allow the cloud controller to apply a tagged mgmt VLAN to the AP.

I have played with changing the uplink port mgmt VLAN on Aruba AP's (at AP level) before but that option has disappeared on central now. Has it been removed do you know?

thanks

• 4.  RE: Assign Management VLAN to AP

Posted Sep 20, 2022 08:02 AM
    I don't know if that has been removed; when you asked the question I checked on AOS10 and could not find the option. May be best to reach out to Aruba support, as this is not a very standard situation. I would consider changing the requirement as tagged management VLANs have some nasty side effects by making the deployment more complex.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Assign Management VLAN to AP
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 28, 2022 10:24 AM
    I believe uplink-vlan is what you are looking for and on AOS 10 it is still available but only for Template Groups in Aruba Central for now. 

The Aruba Central WebUI currently does not support the following per-AP env parameters: uplink-vlan, enet0-bridge, ap1x-peap-user and password, and IPv6 address. To perform migration in these scenarios, you must use Aruba Central template.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/aos10x/cfg/ap-migration.htm

• 6.  RE: Assign Management VLAN to AP

Posted Oct 31, 2022 04:30 AM
    thanks brosen,

I also had the following response from Aruba Support

We expect the tagged management VLAN issue to be sorted with 10.5 and 2.5.7. The current plan would have the fix out to customers in the April/May timeframe"