Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 16, 2024 10:10 AM

Hello All,

This is my first time posting to the thread or any for that matter so apologies for any details I leave out.  Anything additional info you all recommend I share to help please let me know.  

A brief overview of our setup: Using CPPM, Aruba 615 APs, Aruba MM-1K, and Aruba 7220 controllers.  Airgroup is enabled since we are using different VLANs for different types of users. 

We are experiencing an issue where Bonjour is not populating printers on user's Apple devices (MacBook, iPhone, and iPads).  Newly connected devices start out working as intended, and Bonjour populates available printers based on which AP they are connected to.,  After a few days, users start to report the printer shows offline and the only way to reconnect is to do it via IP.   This issue wasn't present a month or so ago and to my knowledge, no config or software updates have taken place in Clearpass or the Aruba controllers.

I have cleared the user's device from Clearpass, verified role assignments, placed user devices in the same VLAN as the printers, and factory reset printers.  My daily driver is a MacBook Pro M1 and I was once able to see all printers, but now nothing.  I logged in and connected wirelessly on an older MacBook Pro, that had been offline for a while, and can see the printers but still not on my daily driver.   The two laptops I am using are in the same VLAN, same SSID, and use the same authentication.

On the controllers, I can verify printers that should be showing up are showing when I use "show airgroup servers".  I have verified both of my laptops show under "show aigroup users".  

Any tips or ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated.  I do have a TAC case open, but so far nothing.  

• 2.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 19, 2024 08:06 AM

I think you can try to select allowall 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.

leo ma

ACMX

• 3.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 20, 2024 09:10 AM

Thank you for responding. 

I confirmed I have allowall selected in my airgroup profile.  I did notice one thing, still waiting to hear back from TAC on the matter, but one of our 7220 controllers does not list any AirGroup clients.   Our second 7220 controller lists the most AirGroup servers and Clients.  

7220-1 shows 59 AirGroup Servers and 0 Clients

7220-2 shows 237 Airgroup Servers and 455 Clients.

• 4.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 22, 2024 01:43 AM

Is bcmc enabled under vlan?

If TAC has a reply, please share it. I also want to know the follow-up.

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.

leo ma

ACMX

• 5.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 22, 2024 03:13 PM

I checked and no, this option is not enabled under any of the VLANs we have configured.  After our first meeting with TAC, they recommended we switch our AirGroup mode from Centralized to Distributed mode.  Still experiencing the same issue.  Another issue I am seeing, at least with a few devices I've tested, they can see additional printers that they shouldn't be able to see based on our device settings in ClearPass Guest.

• 6.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers

Posted Feb 22, 2024 07:29 AM

What do you see for "show airgroup cppm entries", "show airgroup cache entries", do you see the controller [ 7220-1 ] without clients? enable logging for mDNS process on system and user level [ you can choose subcategories as needed under the process], might wanna check user process debugging for mdns since cppm is involved for more detailed logs.

I'd also recommend checking the audit-trial, "show audit-trial" to see if any configuration change caused this. 

A "show log all | include mdns" should give you more information as well.

/AJ

• 7.  RE: Bonjour Not Discovering Printers
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 23, 2024 12:52 PM

After getting off a call with TAC we have switched AirGroup mode back to centralized.  Currently, things appear to be working as intended.  Still no information on why we were experiencing the issue.   I will make note of the places you recommended I start looking in the chance the issue comes back.  For now, it looks like switching from toggling between centralized and distribution modes has resolved our issue.