Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

Posted Jul 10, 2024 03:20 PM

Hello,

I have six AP-535s on a switch (actually a 2x Cisco SW stack and APs are dual-connected), all APs are Campus APs managed by Mobility Conductor 7205 with ArubaOS 8.10.0.7.

I don't know what happened, but one AP suddenly disappeared from controller and started creating weird things on a switch (first port-security, once disabled it triggered BPDU guard), so I enabled only one switchport.

I noticed on a switch that this one particular AP somehow became Instant AP: 

PCNTRN_9300_V5_STACK#show lldp nei g1/0/5 det
    ------------------------------------------------
    Local Intf: Gi1/0/5
    Chassis id: 482f.6bc3.3336
    Port id: 482f.6bc3.3336
    Port Description: eth0
    System Name: 48:2f:6b:c3:33:36

System Description: 
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 535), Version Aruba IAP

Time remaining: 115 seconds
    System Capabilities: B,W
    Enabled Capabilities: W
    Management Addresses:
        IP: 10.94.2.15

Is this normal behavior? The controller was always available and all other APs with the same configuration operate normally, just this one AP misbehaved and I have no idea why..

The question is - how to convince this unwanted Instant AP to become Campus AP again and join the controller?

It is pingable from the controller and I tried to SSH into it with admin/admin, admin/serialnumber, admin/SERIALNUMBER, admin/macaddress, admin/ma:ca:dd:re:ss, admin/maca.dress but all options gave me wrong credentials. It's not easily accessible and I'm not sure I even have supported console cable for it so I would prefer some "remote" solution if it exists.

I am new to Aruba so any help and guidance is really appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jaroslav
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 10, 2024 03:38 PM

What controller discovery mechanism are you using? Do you have discovery via DNS or DHCP setup already? If not, try one of those to get the IAP to reattach.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.10.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/access-points/enab-ctrl-disc.htm

• 3.  RE: CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

Posted Jul 11, 2024 02:40 AM

I'm using DHCP option 43 to discover controller but this AP seems to be ignoring it (I restarted AP by bouncing switchport & PoE).