Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

Posted 19 days ago

Hello,

I have six AP-535s on a switch (actually a 2x Cisco SW stack and APs are dual-connected), all APs are Campus APs managed by Mobility Conductor 7205 with ArubaOS 8.10.0.7.

I don't know what happened, but one AP suddenly disappeared from controller and started creating weird things on a switch (first port-security, once disabled it triggered BPDU guard), so I enabled only one switchport.

I noticed on a switch that this one particular AP somehow became Instant AP: 

PCNTRN_9300_V5_STACK#show lldp nei g1/0/5 det
    ------------------------------------------------
    Local Intf: Gi1/0/5
    Chassis id: 482f.6bc3.3336
    Port id: 482f.6bc3.3336
    Port Description: eth0
    System Name: 48:2f:6b:c3:33:36

System Description: 
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 535), Version Aruba IAP

Time remaining: 115 seconds
    System Capabilities: B,W
    Enabled Capabilities: W
    Management Addresses:
        IP: 10.94.2.15

Is this normal behavior? The controller was always available and all other APs with the same configuration operate normally, just this one AP misbehaved and I have no idea why..

The question is - how to convince this unwanted Instant AP to become Campus AP again and join the controller?

It is pingable from the controller and I tried to SSH into it with admin/admin, admin/serialnumber, admin/SERIALNUMBER, admin/macaddress, admin/ma:ca:dd:re:ss, admin/maca.dress but all options gave me wrong credentials. It's not easily accessible and I'm not sure I even have supported console cable for it so I would prefer some "remote" solution if it exists.

I am new to Aruba so any help and guidance is really appreciated.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jaroslav
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

What controller discovery mechanism are you using? Do you have discovery via DNS or DHCP setup already? If not, try one of those to get the IAP to reattach.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.10.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/access-points/enab-ctrl-disc.htm

• 3.  RE: CAP somehow changed to IAP by itself, how to change it back?

Posted 19 days ago

I'm using DHCP option 43 to discover controller but this AP seems to be ignoring it (I restarted AP by bouncing switchport & PoE).