Security

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

This thread has been viewed 59 times
  • 1.  ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

MVP
    Posted Feb 16, 2023 11:00 AM

Hi everybody,

till now we had a 6.10.x test environment, using an EVAL license. We were able to update the system to another version, using the EVAL license.

After updating the test environment to version 6.11.0 there is no way to update the system to another version (ex. 6.11.1).

Is this an expected behaviour? So the only way to update the system is to purchase a license?

Kind regards

Matthias

• 2.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2023 11:43 AM

There is a challenge with 6.11.0 that is being worked on that sounds similar to what you are describing.  The fix should be released soon but in the meantime you can work with your account team to get a resolve if necessary.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

Posted Feb 17, 2023 03:01 AM

Hi Matthias

I have had the same issue both on Eval and production licenses.

In the case of the eval licenses it was really strange as I planned to set up a cluster. Thus I had two licenses. One of them waw able to update the other had the same issue as you.

In my case I could cluster the servers, assigning the machine that was able to get the update as Publisher and then run the cluster update.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP 2023, ACCX #1335, ACMP, ACDP, ACP-Network Security, ACEP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 4.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

Posted Feb 17, 2023 08:54 AM

There is a known inconvenience that the check for active support is done at 23h55 every evening. That means that if you generated your token for support, you should be able to upgrade the next day. As mentioned, this is being worked at and should be resolved in a future version.

If you are stuck, Aruba Support can fix this without the wait for next day if you provide them access to the ClearPass appliance. But if you downloaded the update already, and try the next day, you should be able to upgrade without issues.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

MVP
    Posted Feb 17, 2023 09:02 AM

The problem we´re facing is, that starting with version 6.11.0 ClearPass mentions:

NOTE: System Update/Upgrade is not allowed as Platform License does not have valid Support Contract.

We have two permanent licenses for our production environment and one EVAL license for the test environment.

• 6.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

Posted Feb 17, 2023 09:19 AM

That is what I refer to. If you registered your ClearPass for updates, it will take a night and after that the message will disappear and you can upgrade. This applies to both production and eval licenses. If you registered a token yesterday, try again today. If it still doesn't work, then it can be that the support is not correctly registered and you can ask Aruba Support to validate and fix that registration.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

Posted Feb 28, 2023 09:47 AM

TAC is typically un-aware of the "immediate" work around, and we've had this not resolve after 24-48 hours. 

When you're in a production outage, as is essentially required when using hardware devices, waiting 24-48 hours isn't really an option even if the it did work. 

We've seen 2 ways to resolve; Install directly from the shell (Only do so with an Aruba TAC engineer), or create and apply a new trial license after you've activated the server. 

For the shell install you have to issue the install manually: 

/bin/platform-cli/install-update <install file>

Hopefully we'll get a 6.11.2 ISO with this removed, and the 6.11.0 will be pulled; Add the support check after a point release, like the Token generation was added, but not on the required full reload. 

• 8.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

Posted Nov 15, 2023 09:30 AM

This whole process seems to require an internet connection, even considering the bug that requires us to wait until 23h55. 

What if our server doesn't have internet access? I've had a TAC case open for two weeks now and they don't seem to know what's happening.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass 6.11.x EVAL no update possible

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 17, 2023 10:49 AM

When do a clean install of Clearpass please use the installation image 6.11.1. In 6.11.1 offline updates are possible, download last 6.11.5 update from ASP. In 6.11.0 a upgrade without a token was not possible.

In 6.11.1 there is only a warning message that you not allowed to update without a support contract, but offline upgrade is possible again.

This way you can update ClearPass when there is no internet connection. 

Please note that in production environment a active supportcontract is required to update.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own