Security

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass VM end of support question

This thread has been viewed 86 times
  • 1.  ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Mar 08, 2022 04:18 PM

We have a trio of CP-VA-500 virtual appliances that we've gone through the migrations, license changes and so on over the years. It looks like the appliances are end of support April 2024, so while we have time, I like to lay out some of the spade work in advance so we can figure out what we need to budget for next year, etc. 

Does anyone have experience with migrating from the CP-VA appliances to the new Cx000V appliances? What was the migration of configuration like? Were you able to transfer licenses or such from the old appliances to the new? Any significant differences to watch out for?

------------------------------
    Jessica Davis

• 2.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 09, 2022 01:31 AM
    What version are you starting from?
    Also, are you talking about upgrading to the Cx000V version from CP-VA, do you mean migrating config to another VM? Or do you mean upgrading form what was once called CP-VA-500 to C1000V on the same VM.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Mar 11, 2022 05:52 PM
    So, they all started life as CP-VA-500's, were upgraded to C1000V, currently on 6.9.7. With renewing our Aruba support this year, our vendor let us know that these units would be going end of support (at least as CP-VA-500's, which is what is reflected on our support contract) May 1, 2024. I suppose that would be a first question is, do we avoid that with the move to the CA1000V, or do we still need to buy something new?

Jessica Davis

• 4.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2022 05:31 PM
    you can find all the EoS info from here
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/

select ClearPass appliances and SKUs, the info for CP-VA-500 is found in the highlight section.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Mar 14, 2022 06:49 PM
    I think I may have an answer on this. I'll put the relevant links at the end, but the quick run down:

-Originally, we bought a trio of CP-VA-500's several years ago
    -When we upgraded to 6.7, it involved some licensing changes, that changed the CP-VA-500's to be C1000V's
    -The recommended SKU for the replacement of the CP-VA-500's is JZ-399AAE, which is used for C1000V, C2000V and C3000V
    -By this, we should be fine, we just need to make sure our vendor updates the support renewal to make sure that it reflects what the units are currently

I've already reached out to our vendor to make sure everything is good.
    Clearpass 6.7 upgrade techdoc: here
    Clearpass 6.7 license changes: Here
    EoL/EoS documentation

Jessica Davis

• 6.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 13, 2024 11:02 AM

Hello,

try your link but i cannot find the c2000v on the list of eos,  Idon't think c2000v is end of support.  

• 7.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2024 04:31 PM

Now the End of Life info is in Aruba Support Portal (ASP) 

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 8.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 13, 2024 04:46 PM

I'm hoping to hear otherwise from our vendor this year, but from the sound of it last year - since the serial numbers were originally sold as CP-VA-500's, the system prevents them from being able to continue offering support, even though the upgrade migrated them to a new virtual platform model number.

Which is to say - they want us to buy new C-1000Vs to replace our current C-1000Vs because...the serial numbers expired. I can't say I really like that answer at all.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 14, 2024 05:50 AM

Please let your vendor have a look at Arubapedia for the License Transfer Process. There is a solution in place for this situation, under the assumption that the existing VM appliances are still under active support.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 10.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 14, 2024 11:11 AM
    Is this link for partners only?

I believe our Aruba account rep mentioned last summer we would need to purchase a new VM which didn't make any sense to me.

--
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

• 11.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 14, 2024 11:53 AM

That Arubapedia link works for Partners and HPE employees.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 12.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 14, 2024 01:27 PM
    I'll try to explain it in a few more words.

In the past, for example, you bought a CP-VA-500 license, which was a bundle of a platform license including 500 access licenses. A number of years ago, Aruba started using a different licensing model in which the platform licenses and access licenses were separated. Ultimately, the SKU of these licenses was announced as end-of-support and will now also be end-of-support in April.

Support can therefore no longer be extended on the old SKU license, and a support contract is necessary to receive software updates.

Aruba has a special upgrade program to prevent you from paying more than before. For this you must contact your Aruba Partner.

What basically happens is the following.

You purchase two new platform licenses and also purchase support for them. You also purchase transfer licenses and  support for that as well. This combination ensures that you receive a high discount on your support extension, which offsets the costs of purchasing the new platform licenses. This way, the customer actually pays the same amount as with a normal support extension and is therefore not disadvantaged by the purchase of the new SKUs for the platform license.

Example for a two node CP-500-VA cluster:
    - 2x Aruba ClearPass Cx000V VM Appl E-LTU (licence)
    - 2x Aruba 3Y FC SW CP Cx000V VMAppl E-L SVC (support)
    - 2x Aruba ClearPass VA-500 XFER E-LTU (licence)
    - 2x Aruba 3Y FC SW CP VA-500 XFER SVC (support)

Its important to buy the XFER option bundled with the other components so as not to miss out on the discount. That is why it is important to arrange this through your Aruba Partner to assist you with the migration process.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 13.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

Posted Feb 14, 2024 05:14 PM

Thank you for that concise, specific answer! I'll reach out to our Aruba Partner and see what they can do!

• 14.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 14, 2024 01:31 PM

Longlanh,

The Cx000v virtual appliance is not end-of-support, your ok.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 15.  RE: ClearPass VM end of support question

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 14, 2024 07:49 AM

Hi Jessica,

Check also this link

Please contact your HPE Aruba Partner to help you with de process, there is no extra cost like a normal support renewal if ordered correctly.