Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial IoT (IIoT)

View Only
last person joined: 13 days ago 

Forum to discuss the HPE Aruba Networking Edge Service Platform and all associated products and solutions for any type of IoT or IIoT application. Included are IoT technology partners (eg. EnOcean, Microsoft, and Zebra) and IIOT technology partners (eg. ABB and Siemens)
Expand all | Collapse all

Connecting to a BLE peripheral from Aruba 560/570 Series AP

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Connecting to a BLE peripheral from Aruba 560/570 Series AP

Posted Mar 08, 2024 09:28 AM

Hi there, I'm very new to the Aruba product line and their technology stack, and have what is probably a naive question:

We have a partner with a large deployment of Aruba 560/570 Series AP's, which they currently use for WiFi connectivity.  However, we'd like to see if it's possible for them to support wearable BLE devices as well.

The BLE devices act as a BLE peripheral and expose a custom BLE service, with a read and write characteristic.  We need the capability to connect to the BLE device from the Aruba 560, and read and write to the characteristics when a device is in range.

From what I understand from reading the datasheet and some documentation I found, the 570 series hardware does support BLE, and it appears it may be possible to pass advertisement data to the backend network.  However, I cannot find any documentation regarding if connecting to BLE peripheral devices and reading or writing to custom BLE characteristics is possible.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Connecting to a BLE peripheral from Aruba 560/570 Series AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2024 08:07 AM

That should be possible with BLE Connect. There is a reference in the IoT Utilities documentation which may help you get started.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Connecting to a BLE peripheral from Aruba 560/570 Series AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2024 08:56 AM

Hi, 

What you are looking for is possible but depends on the details e.g. the Aruba SW version you are running. 

To get started, you can take a look here: https://iot-utilities.arubademo.de/ The app and related documentation if for AOS 8.8 or higher.

The official developer documentation can be found here: https://networkingsupport.hpe.com/  but requires you to register an account. 

The feature to look out for is called  BLE Connect. It allows you to connect to BLE devices using BLE GATT and read/write characteristics. 

• 4.  RE: Connecting to a BLE peripheral from Aruba 560/570 Series AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2024 09:54 AM

Hi mikevoyt - Within HPE Aruba Networking, we have a technology partnership program where we certify 3rd party IoT devices on HPE Aruba Networking infrastructure.  What brand and model of BLE wearable are you looking to connect and what is the business use case for it?  We may already have a certified partner for that use case.

Best regards,

Tim