Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Difference between OVA and 6400 firmware, missing configuration options (VXLAN, VRF, BGP)

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Difference between OVA and 6400 firmware, missing configuration options (VXLAN, VRF, BGP)

Posted Apr 28, 2023 04:52 AM

I am using a lab to test configuration changes before applying these to my hardware switches. However, a recent change I planned to make involved using symmetric integrated routing and bridging, i.e. routing VLAN traffic through a dedicated VNI across my EVPN VXLAN fabric. In so doing I plan on leaking routing information between different VRFs - ultimately neatly separating different routing VRFs for upstream routers. I mostly oriented myself after the example configuration in the chapter "example of external connectivity and IVRL with symmetric IRB" contained in the AOS-CX VXLAN EVPN Guide: Example of external connectivity and IVRL with symmetric IRB

Arubanetworks remove preview
    Example of external connectivity and IVRL with symmetric IRB
    In symmetric IRB deployment, IVRL is typically configured at the border VTEPs. At the border VTEP, host routes (published by remote VTEPS via route type-2) are installed. Similarly, the EVPN type-5 prefixes advertised by other VTEPs get installed as prefix-routes (for example, a /24 prefix for IPv4 overlay network).
    View this on Arubanetworks >

Unfortunately, I soon realised that the route-target configuration in the VRFs is not possible in the OVA firmware as it does not exist there. It does, however, exist in the actual firmware on my 6400 switches. I tried different versions of the OVA (10.09, 10.10, 10.11) and they all are missing the route-target configuration option under vrf. 

Since it is a huge availability risk to perform these configuration change tests on my live hardware I am quite at a loss. Is it possible to achieve the same functionality explained in that chapter without these explicit commands? If so, how? 

• 2.  RE: Difference between OVA and 6400 firmware, missing configuration options (VXLAN, VRF, BGP)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 28, 2023 07:48 AM

You can check in the Aruba Switch Feature Navigator which features are available in which platforms, including the CX Emulator (VM). Because the VM does not run on actual hardware, it tries to be as close as possible to physical switches, but obviously can't emulate everything.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Difference between OVA and 6400 firmware, missing configuration options (VXLAN, VRF, BGP)

Posted May 02, 2023 02:44 AM

Thanks for the link. There are a lot of VXLAN features not supported in the CX Simulator including a lot of VRF related ones. It's a little hard determining what feature name corresponds to which switch configuration but I am pretty sure that "EVPN - L3 VNI (VRF)" is the one I am missing. Oh well, no testing of configuration for me then.