Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Different SSID, same VLAN

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Different SSID, same VLAN

Posted 2 days ago

Corporate has mandated that we only use SSID to engineering to bypass firewalls. East coast uses SSIDA and Central uses SSIDB. SSIDA will be replacing in the central offices.

Creating the SSID, AAA, & 802.1x profiles is a easy. Instead of building a new VLAN and then removing the old VLAN can I use the same VLAN for both SSID's for test and cut-over. Then remove the old SSID?

I looked at a few of similar threads, but didn't really see an answer.

• 2.  RE: Different SSID, same VLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 2 days ago
    • The short answer is yes, you can assign the same VLAN to different SSIDs.
    • The longer answer is there may be some additional considerations, but you didn't mention anything about the scale of users on both SSIDs, usage of VLAN pools, or if the SSIDs are on the same controller or different.
    • I would double-check that the VLAN you want to share between SSIDs is scoped appropriately to handle the number of clients on both SSIDs.
    • Also consider any planned client growth on both SSIDs between now, testing, and cutover which may cause DHCP scope exhaustion. If the scope cannot accommodate the number of clients (factoring both SSIDs), instead of sharing the VLAN, add a larger VLAN to the target SSID.

• 3.  RE: Different SSID, same VLAN

Posted 2 days ago

We have 2000 users on the campus using 4 SSIDs. SSIDA sees 100-125 devices a day. DHCP scope is 500 /23. VLAN is a /23. Capacity wise we are good.

This will be a temporary move. We are migrating from SSIDA to SSIDB, very short notice. SSIDA goes away in about 3 weeks.

Thanks.