Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

Posted Mar 22, 2018 12:18 PM

I've noticed when I disable an interface witht the "interface A1 disable" command on a 5400R / 3810M that PoE power is still provided to the device unless you type the  "no interface <PORTS> power-over-ethernet".

Is this the correct behavior? Kind of a pain to have to type two commands to bounce a port.

• 2.  RE: Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2018 01:59 PM

Greetings!

This is currently the expected (if not necessarily intended) behavior when an interface is disabled in the switch console.  I will pass your feedback along to our engineering team.

• 3.  RE: Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

Posted Mar 29, 2018 01:04 PM

You dont have to type two commands. When you turn off POE the port goes down as the devices shuts down effectively boucing the port. Just a gotcha if you are not familiar with it.

• 4.  RE: Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

Posted Mar 29, 2018 02:26 PM
    I don't agree with that. Often we don't know if there is a phone or just a PC behind a port. What you suggested would only work for a device that needs PoE. You must do both if you don't want to spend the time figuring out what is on the port. Please correct me if this is wrong.

• 5.  RE: Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

Posted Mar 29, 2018 02:46 PM

I see where you are coming from. I initially thought just about POE devices as that was the initial subject of the post. Other vendors diable the port and disable POE with the shutdown command whereas Aruba/HPE you either disable the port or disable POE. I believe it truly depends what you are attempting to accomplish. Do you want to bounce the port or reboot the device through the removal of power.

• 6.  RE: Disabling interface on Aruba 5400R / 3810M does not turn off PoE

Posted Mar 29, 2018 02:48 PM
    Exactly, guess I'm just stuck in my old ways because this and lack of a "default interface" command sre driving me crazy :-)