Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Distributed Trunking with 4 6600-24XG Switches

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Distributed Trunking with 4 6600-24XG Switches

Posted Aug 27, 2013 09:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hello,

i want to set this up with 4 switches

2 pairs of 660024XG 

switch 2&3 = pair A, isc trunk1 on port 23,24

switch 4&5 = pair B, isc trunk1 on port 23,24

both pairs setup with a peer keepalive and switch interconnect

now; if i put the first pair and configure a dt trunk from pair A(each port 22) to switch 4 on port 21,22 

next i would configure a dt trunk to switch 5 from pair A(each port 21) to switch 4 on port 21,22

so i have a trunk between switch2 & 3 = pair A, from there i have a dt trunk to switch 4 (call it trunk A4), and a dt trunk to switch 5 (call it trunk A5)

switch 4&5 also form a pair and have their own trunk between them

still there is a loop, because of the trunk between pair B, how do i set this up?the white paper only talks about the commands, an example shows only trunk between 3 switches.

i want to be able to set up dt trunk from pair A to a final edge switch/server, and from pair B to another final switch/server, like in the picture

please help?

on the hp whitepaper picture it looks nice, but dt trunk only goes from a pair of switches to a single switch,  is it possible to put all the ports in the same dt-trunk1, i mean, connect port 21,22 from each switch on pairA, configure as dt-trunk 1, and put the ports on pair B also in dt-trunk 1, creating 1 big dt-trunk1?

unfortunately i could only test dt with 2 switches, to an edge server, now setup is ready and in production with mstp enabled,  i added 2 more swithces, and i am confused,i would use dt-lacp

if anyone could give an insight on this please?

#ISC
    #distributedtrunking

• 2.  RE: Distributed Trunking with 4 6600-24XG Switches

Posted Aug 30, 2013 04:43 AM

i've managed to set this up, with 4 switches

i used 2 ports on each switch for interconnect trunk (that makes 2 pairs of interconnected switches)

i used 2 ports on each switch and put them in dt-lacp (i have put dt-lacp on the source and destination)

then i connecteded thos dt-lacp ports to each other (connected the 4 switches all together)

i have noticed that any, non dt-lacp connection between switch would cause a huge broadcast storm, it is better to just unplug or disable all the other ports

config is like this on all 4 switches

trk1, port 23 and 24 for lacp interconnect (2 cables between a pair of switches for the switch interconnect)

trk2 dt-lacp port 21 and 23, i configured dt-lacp on all 4 switches

heartbeat port 20

is this correct?

result of sh lacp distributed on all 4 switches is

Local Port Status:

LACP         Trunk   Port                          LACP     Admin  Oper  

Port   Enabled  Group   Status     Partner Status   Key       Key  

----  -------      -------  -------     ------- ------- ------ ------  

23       Active        Trk2       Up           Yes         Success 0            291  

24       Active        Trk2       Up           Yes         Success 0            291

Remote Port Status:

LACP      Trunk     Port                LACP      Oper   

Port   Enabled   Group     Status    Partner   Status    Key   

----   -------   -------   -------   -------   -------   ------   

23     Active         Trk2      Up         Yes                      Success   0   

24     Active         Trk2      Up         Yes        Success   0

so by configuring the dt-lacp on all the ports that connect to switches it makes 1 big Trk2

i was confused by the fact that you would set up dt-lacp on interconnected switch, and normal lacp on the destination, but the destination is also an interconnected switch, so i used dt-lacp on source ports and destination ports

is this the correct way?

by the way, i use this to make 4 6600 switches as 1 'stack', but is this the right way to do for a backbone to connect the storage to the servers?

top two switches are connected to storage, bottom two switches are connected to flex-10, and dl 580

next thing to do is use the dt-lacp to make trunks to the storage servers on the top switches, and also use dt-lacp to enable active/active shared uplink sets.

the dl580 have separate physical ports, i will not put them in trunk, but rely on the mpio only