View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

Posted 11 hours ago

Hi all

In another thread I was having issues with clients roaming between APs that were in different clusters.  The fix was to disable "Enforce DHCP" on those WLANs.  We would prefer not to do that, but this appears to be our only choice at the moment.

My question - while digging thru this, I found a bug report way back in 8.2.1.0 - Bug ID 176998, "Symptom:Theclienttrafficisdroppedwhentheenforce-dhcpparameterisenabled. Scenario:ThisissueoccurswhenclientsroamfromoneAP toanotherAPthatterminates onadifferentmanageddeviceandhasnocontextoftheclient.Theclientdoesnotinitiate DHCPdiscoveryafterauthentication,butsendstrafficwhichisdroppedbythemanaged device. Workaround: 1. Disableenforce-dhcpparameterintheAAAprofileusingeithertheWebUIortheCLI:"

there was never any mention of this bug either still occurring or being resolved in any later versions.  Is this still considered a bug and this is just a workaround, or is it now a "feature" and no longer a bug, it's just the way it must be configured if you have multiple clusters with the possibility of users roaming between them?

Thanks!

Jeff

• 2.  RE: Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

Posted 9 hours ago

That bug ID is incorrect.  The correct bug is 181221 and it is properly described on the fixed on the page here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS/Consolidated_8.x_RN/Content/8.4/00/resolved_8400.htm

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

Posted 9 hours ago

Thanks Colin

That link states that the bug was fixed in 8.4, but I am running 8.10 and still seeing it.  I know you answered me in my other post (and it worked - THANKS!), but we would rather not disable Enforce DHCP on all of our WLANs.  I was hoping this bug was still open and a fix would come down the line where we could roam between clusters AND enforce DHCP.  Thanks again

• 4.  RE: Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

Posted 9 hours ago

You have never been able to roam between Clusters with enforce DHCP enabled, because whether or not users have obtained an IP address through DHCP is not synchronized between Clusters (EDIT: It is part of the user entry in the user table which is not synchronized).  I am not aware of this ever being changed.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Enforce DHCP bug reported back in 8.2.1.0

Posted 7 hours ago

Thanks again Colin.  that's the sort of answer I was looking for (the technical reason why).  I guess I was hoping that Aruba would change that to start syncing them between clusters (or at least give the option to).