Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

Posted May 25, 2023 09:51 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the ArubaOS-CX environment.  Can someone please help and explain something for me?  On my old procurve we have some ports that are untagged and some that are tagged.  On the new arubaos-cx switch I now I can configure ports to an Access port (which I understand is similar to untagged in Procurve but only 1 vlan) and also can configure a trunk port to carry multiple VLANs  (which I understand are the tagged ports).  My confusion is how do I untag and tag a port on the new ArubaOS-CX?  Is there a hybrid setting that can do this?  Or do I need to change the native vlan on a trunk port.  I'm so confused. Someone please help me understand this.  Thank you in advance. 

• 2.  RE: Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

Posted May 25, 2023 10:08 AM

They should be very similar, with the concepts being the same. An untagged VLAN on a port is the same as an 'Access' port, and you can have only one assigned to a port. Tagged VLANs make the port a 'Trunk' port. Are you working with the Web GUI, or the CLI (command line)?

For the GUI, you should be able to choose 'VLANs' under the 'Interface' portion of the menu. That's where you should be able to define VLANs and assign them to ports. With the CLI, you login as an Admin user and then enter thed' or ' 'Config' mode. Then enter 'VLAN X' (X being the number of the VLAN you want to create or modify). The prompt should show that you're in that 'VLAN's' configuration mode. You can type 'Untagged' or 'Tagged' along with the port/interface number(s) you want to assign the VLAN to. Conversely, you should also be able to enter 'Interface 1/1/X' to go to a specific port/interface and then associate it with a VLAN using the 'Untagged' or 'Tagged' commands, followed by the VLAN you want associated with the interface that way.

• 3.  RE: Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

Posted May 25, 2023 01:12 PM

I"m using the CLI.  I tried what you said about going into the vlan config mode and typing untagged or tagged (see screenshot below).  That is not an option.  I even tried it under the interface config mode and when you add a vlan you can only put access or trunk.  no tagged or untagged

• 4.  RE: Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

Posted May 25, 2023 01:58 PM

My mistake, then. You'll need to do it from the interface side. For example, now that you've created VLAN 254:
    6300-1(config-vlan-254)#interface 1/1/2-1/1/8
    6300-1(config-if-<1/1/2-1/1/6>)#vlan access 254

sets the untagged vlan as 254 for ports 2 to 6. If you used trunk instead..
    6300-1(config-if-<1/1/2-1/1/6>)#interface 1/1/1
    6300-1(config-if)#vlan trunk native 254
    6300-1(config-if)#vlan trunk allow 20,30,40

That would set port 1 up as untagged vlan 254 and tagged vlans 20,30 and 40, assuming they were already created.
    There is also a 'vlan trunk native 254 tag' command that would force tagging for it as well.

I've been switching back and forth between switch brands and AOS-SW and OS-CX, so I may have gotten a bit turned around! LOL...

• 5.  RE: Help!! moving from old procurve switch to new aruba 6300 arubaos-cx

MVP GURU
    Posted May 25, 2023 02:42 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, in case of any non default VLAN Id (VLAN Id 1 is default) used as the "native" VLAN Id on a interface that is going to operate in "trunk mode" (by carrying other tagged VLAN Ids other than its tagged or not tagged native VLAN Id) then the particular non default native VLAN Id used should be included into the allowed list too:

AOSCX(config)# interface 1/1/1
    AOSCX(config-if)# vlan trunk native 254
    AOSCX(config-if)# vlan trunk allow 254,20,30,40