Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

How Primary and Management VLAN can be changed?

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  How Primary and Management VLAN can be changed?

Posted Dec 15, 2022 06:52 PM

Hey,
    I need to change the Management and Primary VLAN on my switches to VLAN 10; therefore  I have done below configuration
    • Onthe GW
      • VLAN 10
      • Stastic IP address 10.10.10.1
      • Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
      • DHCP enabled:   range 10.10.10.0/24;  GW and DNS 10.10.10.1
      • LAN port: port mode Trunk, Native VLAN 10, Allow 10, 33 (user VLAN)
    • On the Core Switch
      • VLAN 10
      • DHCP enabled
      • Primary and Management enabled
      • Uplink port untagged VLAN 10
      • Downlink prots to access switches  untagged VLAN 10

• On access switches uplink and downlinks to IAPs untagged to VLAN 10.

With the mentioned configuration I can see that core all switches and IAPs still get IP address from VLAN10 range for on the default VLAN:

VLAN | IP Config IP Address Subnet Mask Std Local
    -------------------- + ---------- --------------- --------------- ----------
    DEFAULT_VLAN | 10.10.10.2  255.255.255.0  no no

Is there any way to fix this issue, or I have to use default VLAN as the primary or management or for both?

• 2.  RE: How Primary and Management VLAN can be changed?

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 16, 2022 10:05 AM
    Hi, you wrote "on my switches", what switches? which families?

Then you wrote "management", "default" and "primary" VLAN...can you clarify what you mean when you refer to those names?

• 3.  RE: How Primary and Management VLAN can be changed?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2022 03:51 AM
    If you have VLAN10 untagged from your core to APs/Access Switches, unless you configure those switches as well to have untagged VLAN 10, they will use the default VLAN. An untagged port does not carry a VLAN-ID, and depending on your configuration that is not needed either.

So to 'fix' this, configure the port on your Access switch facing your core to VLAN10 / untagged, and set an IP (or dhcp client) on VLAN 10 on those switches.

Hope this is the correct answer, because your explanation is somewhat ambiguous.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------