View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device

Posted Oct 12, 2022 03:46 PM
    hi !

In fact I never looked for this concept in detail since I never had to care for it.
    Typically the hostname and the devicename were identical for all devices I added to Aruba Central all the time.
    When I entered the hostname once initially it was typically copied to the devicename. Now I have a device that keeps its devicename that it initially got which is the model name Aruba-2930F-24G-PoEP-4SFP .

I tried renaming the hostname in the hope  the device name  would change then as kind of a second attempt but there was no success..
    I have not found a way to change it manually separately from the hostname. I am afraid I ran into a bug.

Any hints appreciated !

TIA,
    best regards,
    Holger

• 2.  RE: How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device

Posted Oct 14, 2022 05:29 AM
    In fact I was able to proceed a bit.
    It seems the devicename shown is inherited from the hostname configured.

I discovered that the problem with this particular device is, that the hostname configured in central, never makes it to the actual device.
    And so it does not make it back to the devicename column.
    In some areas of central the "supposed-to-be" hostname is picked from the central database and not from the device itself.
    E.g the topology and some tables.
    And so it is not so easy to see what the truth is.
    It helps to go to the single-device-context of a peering switch and look at the client info >>Neighbors which is showing real LLDP information and show the hostname is not changed.

I am not sure what happened here but I guess I have to delete the device from central and re-adopt it in the hope some internal inconsistency is fixed.

I changed the hostname of other switches and saw  these changes sooner or later make it to every position in central. The device being "in sync" does not
    mean though that my web front end of central is showing all changes already. There are many more synchronizations required apparently between other components and depending on my local connectivity it can take quite a while until my central webclient shows all changes.

I am afraid I have to file a bug report on this with support.

• 3.  RE: How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 21, 2022 04:35 PM
    I had the same issue, the problem for me was that I had a non-ascii character in the location string and then neither device name nor location was synced.

Changing the character everything works.

I've suggested to Aruba that they put in a block for non-ascii characters in that form.

• 4.  RE: How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device

Posted Nov 22, 2022 05:30 AM
    Hey thanks !  That fixed it, indeed I had a german accent in the location string. Replacing that helped !
    Indeed they should make already sure in the GUI that only supported characters can be entered.

• 5.  RE: How to change the Aruba Central Devicename of a device

Posted Nov 22, 2022 05:32 AM
    It is bad now that I cannot fix the misleading thread title..... or does anyone know how to ?