Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

Posted Nov 24, 2023 10:16 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently planning to set up a completely redundant network structure, the routers and firewalls are already all clustered via HA / VRRP, but then I'll have to have an access switch and several core switches, which are not clustered but simply connected to each other via RJ45 without additional configuration was connected.

If an access switch fails in the current state, it must be manually switched to a second access switch with the same configuration; the same applies to the core switches.

Two IT rooms are planned (in different fire compartments, in between there are of course several connection options available via SFP and RJ45.
    HP Aruba 1960 should continue to be used as access and core switches; these should be sufficient in terms of the number of ports spread over two rooms.

Now to my question, I know how to do the example. The core switches could be connected to each other (horizontally) via the 10G Base-T ports 49 + 50 in the LACP, but I still don't understand how I can redundantly connect these two core switches to two access switches above them ( probably connect to the SFP ports 51 + 52)? Have I read about Briding / MSTP so far?

Thank you very much!

• 2.  RE: HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

Posted Dec 04, 2023 08:40 AM

No one can help here?

• 3.  RE: HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2023 03:05 AM

Please note that the Aruba InstantOn products have a dedicated community, that are specific around the capabilities of those products: https://community.arubainstanton.com/home

What would certainly help if you could draw up a quick diagram about your topology for ppl to have a better understanding of what you are planning on doing.

Generally speaking, if you are not leveraging stacking, you are essentially dealing with Spanning Tree and some links will be disconnected to avoid a loop. That is basic networking.

The AIO products support STPAIO 1960 Management and Configuration Guide
    You have to plan this specifically for your topology and make sure that you include all network components in that plan (how the tree looks like, which device is the root bridge, etc). Only that way you will achieve your desired failover scenarios

Again, a topology diagram would help in this discussion.

------------------------------
    I work for Aruba. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

Posted Dec 05, 2023 03:47 AM

Thank you, Oliver. I draw a quick diagram and hope it is usefull for understanding. 

Router- and Firewallcluster in HA with one Virtual-IP are connected to both Access-Switches. At the Core-Switches 1.1 and 2.1 are the internal network (PCs, Servers and so one which need to reach the router and firewalls as it gateway). 

DMZ and Core-Switches have different VLANs, but this topic doesnt matter, i know how to setup trunk ports and so one. 

• 5.  RE: HP Instant on 1960 - Building access/core redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 05, 2023 05:35 AM

Definitely helps!

Yeah so based on that diagram you will have to deal with / plan for STP operation. 
    Assuming you use the AIO Web Interface (I think the Cloud Dashboard only allows for RSTP) you can leverage MSTP for loop avoidance.

While the guide I shared includes the configuration, you will have to probably look at the MSTP basics to set the correct port priorities and root . You find a lot of content on the web.

I work for Aruba. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not do not represent that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.