Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

Posted Jul 16, 2020 11:27 AM

Hi all, I have an HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR Switch and was wondering if LACP trunks can work in Layer 3 or Layer 4 policy, but could't find in documentation.

#HPE
    #LACP
    #switch

• 2.  RE: HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 01:59 PM

@Iong45 wrote: ...was wondering if LACP trunks can work in Layer 3 or Layer 4 policy, but could't find in documentation.

Layer 4 I doubt...Layer 3 for sure (with fallback into Layer 2 in absence of Layer 3 S/D related data).

Supposing your HPE 3500-24G-PoE yl Switch (J8692A) is running updated software K.16.02.0030 (released in May 2020) then have a look at its CLI to understand if it provides/supports a command like this one:

trunk-load-balance [L3-based|L4-based]

which, as example, is commonly supported on the bigger Aruba 5400R zl2 switch series (HP ProVision / HPE Aruba ArubaOS-Switch KB software branch).

The purpose of the above command is to let the administrator to chose between Layer 3 (default) and Layer 4 hashing calculations: when the L4-based option is configured, it enables load balancing based on Layer 4 information if it is present, if it is not present, Layer 3 information is used if present as a fallback; if Layer 3 information is not present, Layer2 information is used.

The configuration is executed in global configuration context and applies to the entire switch (for all Port Trunks).

Defaults: L3-based load balancing.

Edit: I was too curious...despite what I wrote above...it seems that the K software branch supports Layer 4 balancing...see here (this is the latest HPE ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration Guide for K/KA/KB.16.02 software branches published in November 2016, 3rd Edition)...L4-based looks available. I haven't an HP ProCurve 3500 yl to confirm (well...to be honest...I have two but they are piled among a lot other old switches...and it will be difficult to unpile one safely to just perform a test!).

• 3.  RE: HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

Posted Jul 17, 2020 04:10 AM

Thank you, I will try to upgrade to that version and will reply if was able to run on L4 load balacing.

• 4.  RE: HP ProCurve 3500yl-24G-PWR

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 21, 2020 08:28 PM

Perfect!