Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

HPE 5130 JG936A switch SFP+ ports not on

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  HPE 5130 JG936A switch SFP+ ports not on

Posted Jul 10, 2024 03:18 PM

I recently purchase a used HPE 5130 JG936A 24G POE+ 4SFP+ switch along with 4x HPJD092B X130 10G SFP+ LC SR transceivers.

I have not been able to get any of the SFP+ ports working. In the admin web UI it says that all 4 SFP+ interfaces are down. They are all connected to a server with brand new OM4 cables, yet none of the SFP+ LEDs are on.

I've searched through several user manuals and not found anything that has helped. What am I missing or not doing to get these ports enabled and working? Any help is appreciated.

• 2.  RE: HPE 5130 JG936A switch SFP+ ports not on

Posted 14 days ago

Did you try to "loop" one SFP+ to the other on the 5130 switch ? (i.e. connect SFP in slot 25 with SFP in slot 26)

What is the result of :

display transceiver interface

(Yet the obvious question : did you check that the OM4 cable is cross-connect (TX to RX) ? Sometimes, LC to LC cables are "straight"...)

------------------------------
    Frederic
    (kudos welcome)
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: HPE 5130 JG936A switch SFP+ ports not on

Posted 14 days ago

So, long explanation made short. I ended up not having any problems with the switch. I ended up discovering that a 4-port SFP+ NIC in the server wasn't working. Swapped that out and everything went well and was up and running after a reboot.

Yes, I learned a few tests to make sure the OM4 was not cross connected - which it was, initially - before I discovered the NIC wasn't working. That was one step in resolving the problem. Using the little trick of checking for light production using a mobile phone camera (not looking directly at the OM4!!) showed me the NIC was non-functional. Haven't yet taken the time to figure out if it is the NIC itself or if it is the transceivers in it. Given that all 4 transceivers were new and the NIC was used, I'm guessing I just got a faulty or dead NIC.