Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IMC map layer 2 connections

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  IMC map layer 2 connections

Posted May 03, 2023 03:58 AM

Hello,

is it possible to automatically display simple layer 2 connections between devices?

For example between a router and a switch.

The router has one interface with 2 vlans and an ip for each vlan.
    The switch site has also both vlans on one port, but this port has no ip's.

In this case IMC maps does not show connection lines.

What's needed in order to visualize (automatically) those connections?

Thx
    Daniel

• 2.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 03, 2023 04:31 AM

Hello Daniel,

Does the switch have any management IP, and is it managed by IMC? If you want to display links between devices, IMC needs to manage the devices on both ends of the link. It should be able to read neighbor information via SNMP LLDP-MIB or CDP-MIB (and can also use STP / MAC / Routing / IPv6 NDP info depending on the type of link) to detect them automatically.

------------------------------
    Justin Guse

• 3.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

Posted May 03, 2023 05:06 AM

Both systems are monitored by IMC via ping and snmp.

Topology diagnosis shows that MAC is not in use for path discovery, why? There is a connection between router(port 4) and switch(port9).

• 4.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2023 03:50 AM

Hello Daniel,

This could be due to IMC not being able to read the MAC address table via SNMP. If I recall correctly, IMC was using some BRIDGE-MIB and/or Q-BRIDGE-MIB tables to obtain this information. Could it be that the device does not support these MIBs? What device is the one not showing any protocols under Topology Diagnosis?

In case it's not possible to obtain the link data automatically, keep in mind you can always add a link manually on the topology. It's not really scalable, but if this is a corner case, it may be an option for you.

Justin Guse

• 5.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

Posted May 04, 2023 04:37 AM

It's a Barracuda firewall, I have the mibs from Barracuda, there is also a bridge-mib.txt, got to find out how to import it, maybe it will work then.

• 6.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2023 12:04 PM

Hello,

You shouldn't need to import any MIBs into IMC for the topology link detection, and even if you do, IMC would not know to use them for link detection.

It will automatically use the standard MIBs, in which BRIDGE/Q-BRIDGE-MIB is included. IMC should be able to retrieve this information automatically unless there is some restriction (like a mib-view limiting access) or lack of MIB support.

Based on a bit of research it doesn't seem to me like Barracuda devices support the BRIDGE-MIB/Q-BRIDGE-MIB but I can't confirm that. You would need to contact the vendor and check it.

Justin Guse

• 7.  RE: IMC map layer 2 connections

Posted May 05, 2023 03:30 AM

Thanks Justin,

your are correct, BRIDGE-MIB is not possible with Barracuda firewalls.

Here the link to Barracuda forum regarding this issue:
    https://barracuda2018.my.site.com/customers/s/question/0D55x00008r45csCAA/cloudgen-fw-snmp-bridgemib-qbridgemib-support

Best regards,

Daniel