Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"

Posted Oct 24, 2023 11:04 AM

Hi !

Subject says it all.

My understanding was that SNMP templates are simply copied to the particular device instance within IMC when they are used. So there should not  be something left behind like a use counter or lock so deleting should not be a problem.

I have not found a hint as to why this fails. The documentation typically tells me only things I see with naked eye anyway...(sigh).  

And actually I do not see a process how I could reduce a possible counter by one. There is no such thing as a removal procedure turning a device into a template "non-user".    Currently I would simply convert a device in to SNMPv3 use and then delete the old SNMPv2 template.

I suspect a silly bug...and I also suspect this exists for ages but nobody really cared....

Hints appreciated !

best regards,

Holger

• 2.  RE: IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2023 05:53 AM

Hi Holger,

if a template is used by any device, it cannot be deleted globally.

Please ensure the template is not used by any devices. Globally change all devices templates using the batch operation and selecting a new template.

------------------------------
    Kind Regards
    Paola

• 3.  RE: IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2023 10:51 AM

Hi Paola,

thanks for responding ! 

In fact we were sure we had no remaining devices on SNMPv2.

And the batch job cannot compensate for the fact that there is no spot where the used template is actually shown.

We found the solution though:

We looked at the data by REST API data and found the device details here do show the access templates being used for each device.

And this way we found we were correct.

But the data helped in a different way: we saw the boolean attribute autodiscovertemplate for each SNMP template.

That brought us to looking closer at the autodiscovery dialogues and we discovered many templates being used there.

Deleting them sets the autodiscoverytemplate flag to FALSE on each and then we could delete the snmp templates.

I admit I have never looked at the autodiscovery much closer in any training and when do you have so many devices at hand that templates get really relevant in training (or support) ??

May be you can put that in the KDB !

I suspect that was not your radar too :-) 

best regards,

Holger

• 4.  RE: IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2023 04:15 AM

Hello Holger, that is a very creative way to investigate the bug and for sure I am sending this to R&D to be fixed.

Thank you very much

Paola

Kind Regards
    Paola

• 5.  RE: IMC PLAT 7.3 E0710 but I am sure way earlier too: cannot delete SNMP templates: "template XYZ is in use"

Posted Nov 30, 2023 06:02 AM

To be honest the bug is still not clearly defined.

From the Rest-API explorations we did not see an actual relation between devices and the templates justifying a deletion being denied and as this is a copy only operation anyway there is no real need.

Since we now got rid of the V2 templates I was curious what happens if I allocate a new V2 template and let a v2 device be configured using this new v2 template.

I did that that and the device works and afterwards the v2 template could successfully be deleted.

So a device is not actually keeping a template busy contrary to the message text.  Only in connection with an active periodic autodiscovery a deletion denial makes sense.

So my earlier perceived need for template infos with respect to a particular device is gone. May be they had actually implemented something like this otherwise... I am sure with IMC the coding folks were always way better than the documentation folks... :-)

cheers,

Holger