Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:20 PM

I have things configured properly in the sense that when I go on my android phone and connect to the new SSID, I can choose PEAP, enter my AD username and password, choose "Don't validate" for CA certificate and it connects.  I was able to also connect a domain laptop without entering anything, it just connected.

The problem with that is if someone else had same SSID and setup for WPA2 Enterprise, wouldn't my user credentials being sent out to try to connect?  I tried messing with the CA cert and choosing use system certificate then putting in the domain name of our AD domain when adding the wifi to my android but no matter what I do it tells me invalid credentials.  I even tried the domain name associated with our wildcard certificate.

Did I miss something?  Does the wildcard cert we have need to be added somewhere on radius or somewhere in the IAP or?

Thanks ahead of time with anything you can assist with.  Apologies if my terminology is wrong or bad sentences, I have a bad headache today.

• 2.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:30 PM

Would you mind re-typing the following:

"The problem with that is if someone else had same SSID and setup for WPA2 Enterprise, wouldn't my user credentials being sent out to try to connect?  I tried messing with the CA cert and choosing use system certificate then putting in the domain name of our AD domain when adding the wifi to my android but no matter what I do it tells me invalid credentials.  I even tried the domain name associated with our wildcard certificate."

I can't tell exactly what you are trying to do / changed. Thanks!

• 3.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:37 PM

Sure thing.

So I have my SSID With WPA2-Ent and my NPS radius setup on Server 2016.  It works but under CA Certificate on my android phone I have to choose "Don't Validate" which I believe introduces security problems.

If a malicious person setup their own AP and put an SSID on it that was the same as mine, wouldn't they be able to hijack my user credential if my phone tried to connect to their AP instead of mine?

If yes, is it because I'm not using certificates?

• 4.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:47 PM

The authentication exchange happens between the RADIUS server and the client. The credentials are not in cleartext, and the validation of the certificate is to make sure that the connection is trusted.

• 5.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:58 PM

If credentials are not in cleartext that means they could not steal user account information so this type of attack attempt would be pretty low benefit for someone to waste their time with.

In regards to the validation of certificate making sure the connection is trusted, what does that mean?  Is this something that I should worry about?  As I mentioned we have a certificate, how hard is it to setup the validation and what extra protection does that provide?

Thanks for your help!

• 6.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 02:06 PM

Yes it would be more of a man in the middle attack (evil twin) and they could snoop traffic. The certificate validation is to check if the device should trust the radius servers identity.

• 7.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 02:27 PM

That makes sense and what I was anticipating could happen.

How do we implement the certificate for verification?  On the radius server or in Instant?

Once we do implement the cert, what goes in the "domain" blank on my android device?  The domain name in the certificate (.com) or the domain name of AD/radius (.local)?

Can we use wildcard cert?  (I know some things aren't compatible/can't use a wildcard).

• 8.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 03:46 PM

Just to clarify, if the supplicant is not properly configured for EAP server trust, the credentials are essentially sent in clear text.

The client's supplicant must be properly configured with the root CA and subject name. This can occur via a management platform (EMM/MDM, Group Policy, etc), via an end user provisioning flow or manually.

A wildcard cert should never be used for an EAP server identity. It should be a single name cert issued from a PKI under your organization's control.

• 9.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 04:19 PM

Right. With wildcards, if one device certificate gets compromised, then any other device using the certificate is also now vulnerable.

• 10.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

Posted Jun 22, 2020 04:21 PM
    That’s a general security consideration, yes. But wildcards specifically should never be used for EAP.

• 11.  RE: Instant and configuration with 802.1x to radius certificate setup

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 22, 2020 01:55 PM
      |   view attached

Please see the following for a better explanation on how your credentials are verified/authenticated: 

1.jpg