Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

This thread has been viewed 49 times
  • 1.  Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 26, 2021 10:59 PM
    Hi,

I would like to know whether CX 6100 SFP+ port are compatible with DAC cable? Because in CX 6100 datasheet, I did not see the DAC mentioned in it.

thanks
    regards

------------------------------
    hinze a

• 2.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 02:07 AM
    Hi hinze,

have a look at this document:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00028947en_us

the 6100 and 6300, both support the following DAC cables, J9281B/J9281D, those are the 1m DAC cables. 

BR
    Florian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 3.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 02:29 AM
    Hi Florian,

the AOS-CX 6100 Series does not support any DAC cable. 

Thats a bad decision Aruba made.

greetings,
    Klaus

Klaus-Dieter Kromer

• 4.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 03:18 AM
    Hi all, exactly...currently (I would add) - thus as of today with the very latest AOS-CX 10.08.1010 - the Aruba CX 6100 Switch series still does not support any DAC Cable but this restriction - paradoxically - doesn't also mean that you can't try the allow-unsupported-transceiver way since "unsupported" doesn't exactly mean that it doesn't/can't work (exactly like when the Transceiver/DAC is unsupported but recognized by the Switch, that condition doesn't necessarily mean it will work without issues).

You would give it a try IF you already own an Aruba CX 6100 Switch and a short Aruba DAC to test together (with short I mean less than 5 meters long: so the 1 meter long J9281D or the 3 meters long J9283D <- this restriction is due to the PHY-less architecture of Aruba CX 6100).

Anyway, as usual, please remember that the usage of unsupported Transceivers/DACs/AOCs is at your risk and may void product support and warranty.

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 09:03 AM
    Hi Davide,

Actually, I am looking for a model to propose to my customer, so I don't have a real machine to test out.
    Yes, I wouldn't propose a solution that might void the warranty. 
    Your input is very helpful :)

regards

hinze a

• 6.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 10:19 AM
    Hi Hinze, I ignore your requirements/restrictions/budget but if your goal is to interconnect an Aruba CX 6300 with another Aruba CX switch model of a lower end series (thus considering the Aruba CX 6000, 6100 or 6200 Switch series) and you need to deploy that interconnection by using 1 meter or 3 meters long DAC cables then I believe that the only viable way is to use a model of the Aruba CX 6200 Switch series...at least considering the current AOS-CX software versions (those versions directly drive what a switch supports in terms of DACs...as example).

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2021 05:31 AM
    correct, it was way to early and my brain was still sleeping :)

Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 8.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 08:58 AM
    Hi Florian,

No worry :) your response is very much appreciated.

regards

hinze a

• 9.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 27, 2021 08:56 AM
    Hi Klaus,

Thank you for pointed out the document. Appreciate your response:)

regards

hinze a

• 10.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Oct 11, 2021 11:08 PM
    Hello and welcome  Hinz a

heres what i found  we look forward to hearing more from you ...

have a great one...

Cert Seeker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn9DXNPpSg

Derrick Vaughn

• 11.  RE: Interconnect CX 6100 & CX 6300 switches with Direct Attach Copper Cable

Posted Sep 19, 2022 09:38 PM
    after a few months Aruba Networks released a compatability list its located inside the Aruba Portal under Resources ...Its filled with all the compatable dac cables and sfp devices to choose from

Editors note: i recently found out that the DAC cable isnt the only way to connect to your network ,
    im using a 1000base__rj45 sfp by 10gTEK and using the allow command i was able to use this schememfor my network'.

Thank you

Cert Seeker