Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Jul 02, 2014 02:43 PM

Hello, everyone.  I've done a few searches and haven't been able to find a functional solution for this...

Does anyone know how I could schedule a regular resetting the controller/APs for, say, Sunday mornings at 4am?  We have issues come up every once in a while which seem to be resolved by resetting everything, which leads to the theory that some issues are simply, you know, 'buffers getting clogged' to put it oversimply.

In any case, it seems like it would be a useful precautionary measure to reset things (nicely) weekly, and see if this continues to occur.

Any suggestion to help with this would be VERY greatly appreciated...

Thanks, team.

#Scheduled
    #reset
    #msm
    #buffer
    #troubleshooting

• 2.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Jul 09, 2014 04:12 AM
    I have the same issue. MSM760 on 6.4 and MSM460s. Seems to take longer for it to happen with the new software but it still happens. Would greatly benefit from a scheduled reboot of APs.

• 3.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Jul 16, 2014 11:39 AM

I'm not aware of any reason to perform regular resets. If something like this happens, you should contact support and let us have a look.

The only way to perform a regular reboot is scheduled configuration upload. Go to Maintenance / Config file management -tab and you can enable Scheduled operation - config backup or restore. This way you can boot the controller on daily or weekly basis at desired time.

• 4.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Feb 25, 2015 04:21 AM

It may be more useful to think about controlling the POE port on the switch that the AP is connected to. You can disable/enable POE to that port to force a reset, or turn APs off at closing time and on at opening time. This can be done with IMC.

• 5.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Aug 25, 2016 09:32 AM

"I'm not aware of any reason to perform regular resets."

There are various bugs exists in hp access points not fixed by hp for ages. Only solution is reboot for them.

"If something like this happens, you should contact support and let us have a look."

what if we don't have  support contract?

• 6.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Aug 26, 2016 07:09 AM

I'm still not aware of any issues that would require regular reboots (for example weekly) on a properly implemented wireless.

If the controller is MSM720 or MSM775, there's no issue w/o contract - they have a lifetime free support and warranty. For other models I'd definitely recommend getting a SW support contract if you're experiencing some repetitive issues. Also devices purchased on or after Aug 1 2013 come with a SW support contract baked in the purchase price, length of which depends on the controller model.

• 7.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Mar 31, 2017 12:01 AM

Hi, 

I am also constantly having connectivity issues with MSM720 with MSM410s. Typically rebooting the APs works for a while until it goes dead again and requires another reboot.

Regards

• 8.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Apr 26, 2017 10:10 PM

I Had the same problem with a MSM760 and 135 AP MSM310. I have 1 MSM560 and 1 MSM430 also.

Thurough the MSM760 console there no way to do schedule resets.

I made two schedule scripts in the Windows 2008 System using plink and ssh console.

The first scritp does a reset to factory defaults for each AP and the second one does the accept command for the same APs in the first one. This scripts runs CLI commands for this operations.

I was running firmware version 6.0, some of the APs went to radio status pending and high CPU when the number of users and wlan traffic increase during the operation time. So whe had to reset the APs to have a fresh start.

I did this two times a week.

• 9.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Apr 26, 2017 10:20 PM

Other best practice to reduce the APs loosing connection is changing each subnet smaller.

We make each network /23 but the occupation of each one about 50% max due to broadcast traffic and to keep DHCP leases running free.

DHCP Lease time of 1:30hs. 

• 10.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Nov 03, 2017 10:26 AM

Hi Yuvi

I have the same setup as yourself and was wondering if you are able to send me the scripts with instructions as I am having lots of problems trying to get this.

I basically want to create a script which will connect to each Ap form the MSM720 CLI and reboot them. 

This will be greatly appriciated

• 11.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Nov 10, 2017 05:46 AM

Just to be clear: are we talking about RESETTING the MSM as in setting it to factory defaults, or REBOOTING them?

Reboot is easy to arrange. Configure a scheduled config upload at desired time. The controller will upload config file, then reboot, then push the config to the APs forcing them to reboot in turn.

• 12.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Jun 07, 2018 10:25 PM

Hi everyone,

I was doing Factory Reset in all APs by windows scripting and plink.exe. A simple reboot did not resolve the issue.

I have one script to reset factory defaults and another one to accept all one by one because the come back as Suspicious Device.

After upgrade firmware to Software version: 6.6.8.0-23368 I did not need to reset factory defaults the Aps.

I had a lot of tickets in HPE Support about CPU load high and they release this versions fixing this issues.

I have two MSM760 working as Teaming, today the Uptime is Uptime: 109 days 23 hours 18 minutes and the APs go more then 45 days. After that I ran the scripts in preventive way in all APs to avoid any issues.

• 13.  RE: Is there a way to schedule resets of APs? (MSM720 + MSM422/460s)

Posted Jul 01, 2018 08:27 PM
      |   view attached

Hello,

in the attached file I brought the script I use to reset and accept the msm access points. A single script does two tasks.

It is necessary the programs plink.exe, now.exe and sleep.exe in the same folder.

the script file can be named reset_accept_msm.cmd

the file aps_somente.txt have the APs names in the controller.

plink logs in the controller like admin@controller-host-name

the file log_resets_1a1.txt has the reset logs.

the file log_accept_1a1.txt has the accept logs.

I hope I can help.