Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Master-Local Conductor Configuration

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 09, 2023 11:41 AM

I am currently reviewing how I have my master-local conductors configured. They are separated at L3 and configured for L3 Redundancy but I was hoping to find a configuration guide/setup guide for setting up two mobility conductors as master-local. To my understanding VRRP cannot be created since they are in two physically different locations and therefor separated at L3. Thank-you in advance for any assistance :D

• 2.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2023 12:50 PM
    There is no option of master local for mobility conductors in AOS 8.. What are you trying to achieve exactly?

• 3.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 09, 2023 01:14 PM

I was informed by someone else that they wanted to have a master-local conductor set up. It did not sound correct to me at the time but i'm still grasping some Aruba knowledge. However in terms of what I would like to achieve is take the two mobility conductors with one being primary and the secondary replicating and there in case of the primary failing. Would that be achieved by just establishing an L3 Redundancy between the two? Does the 'secondary masterip' command need to be utilized on the primary conductor? And is there a guide/SOP to follow through to ensure nothing is missed while setting this up?

• 4.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 10, 2023 07:08 AM

In Aruba OS 8 environment there are mobility conductor and mobility controller. Mobility controllers are configured via mobility conductor. WLAN traffic flows via mobility controller, and the APs terminate here. What is to be set up redundantly?

Look here here. There are guides and examples for configuration.

------------------------------
    Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACA - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 5.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 10, 2023 10:11 AM

We have two mobility conductors configured for L3-Redundancy, however I want to ensure everything is configured properly. Never used the command "secondary masterip" and unsure if it needs to be used. Or if there are any other ancillary configurations that need to be made.

• 6.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 11, 2023 06:31 AM

Use the "secondary masterip" command to tell the mobility controller that there is an additional mobility master or conductor. How else should it know that there is a backup master?

Without master redundancy you use directly the master-ip on the mobility controller in the initial-setup.

With l2-master redundancy you set up VRRP on the master and backup master, this VRRP IP you use on the mobility-controller in the initial-setup.
    For l3-master redundancy you use the IP of the primary mobility-master in the initial-setup, the IP of the backup master you enter afterwards with the "secondary masterip" command.

Do a failover test and check if the mobility controllers connect to the backup master. With L2 redundancy it happens after the VRRP takeover time, with L3 redundancy it should happen after 15 minutes.

Regards,

Waldemar

• 7.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 13, 2023 09:20 AM

Looking in the config of the primary Conductor there is no 'secondary masterip' or 'secondary conductorip'. However if I were to look at the running config of the controllers I can see 'secondary conductorip'. There is L3-Redundancy and I know about the 15 minute window in which the MD will failover.

The controllers failed over to the secondary conductor but some AP's did not come back up and were stuck in a bootstrap loop. I believe this to be a separate issue but Just wanting to make sure all of my configs are correct.

• 8.  RE: Master-Local Conductor Configuration

Posted Mar 17, 2023 11:56 AM

The following commands must be present in the mobility Conductor configuration:
    conductor-l3redundancy
       l3-peer-ip-address 1.2.3.4 ipsec ******
    !

With the command "show conductor-l3redundancy" you can check the status.

'secondary masterip' or 'secondary conductorip' are only shown in the MD. You enter the commands in mobility Conductor, it sends them to the MD.

Regards,

Waldemar