Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

This thread has been viewed 53 times
  • 1.  Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

Posted May 10, 2021 06:24 AM

Hi,

Is it known issue that mixing IAP315 and IAP325 does not work very well?

Using version 8.7.2.1 (and also previous version) IAP325's radios will be offline while IAP315's radios works just fine (see image below) 315 is master.

Also if I try to configure iap325 virtual controllers webUI freezes and I have to reload web page to "restart" WebUI.

If I boot only 325 in network iap will show up initial "SetMeUp..." ssid so it seems that ap itself and radios are fine and there is something else wrong. I have factory resetted iap325 few times but no luck... If I try to access ap via ssh console, I get "Internal Error" message while trying to login to ap when it is part of virtual controller but when resetted, I can login to it with default uname/passwd

Any idea how to to proceed with this one?

------------------------------
    Jori Luoto

• 2.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2021 10:13 AM
    Sounds to me like the 315 and 325 are on different firmware versions. Make sure all are on the same release before joining them together. What is also possible is that you disabled the auto-join in the 315s, if the firmware is already on the same version (same build number).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

Posted May 12, 2021 01:49 AM
    Auto-join seems to be enabled and I did fw upgrade to 325 separately because it was in it's original firmware. I can do that again just to make sure it is in same version with 315's..

Jori Luoto

• 4.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2021 03:24 AM
    Be advised that if you use the reset pinhole button on the AP, the firmware will revert to the previous version. If you clear the config from the UI or CLI, the AP will remain on the same version. You can upgrade the firmware twice to the same version to make sure the backup partition has the same version and when you factory reset with the button you stay at that version.

I have seen a few times where I did this wrong, upgrade then factory default and the AP was back on the old firmware.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

Posted May 12, 2021 07:27 AM
    I did managed to login to 325 and it was in version 8.7.1.2 like it is in 315's VC at this moment. 

I tried to access webUI while 325 was only ap in network but did not succeed to open up web at all.
    I did "pinhole reset" but SetMeUp-network did not work either. Firmware remained in 8.7.1.2 so seems like I have done upgrade twice already.

But I still point out that I have two 325 apps which are acting like same so I still do not believe this is caused by broken hardware...

Jori Luoto

• 6.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

MVP GURU
    Posted May 12, 2021 07:34 AM
    Do you have these APs in Aruba Activate at all?  Central? Watch boot over console and see if its reaching out, and getting configuration elsewhere. You could also try factory reset on a VLAN/Subnet that has no internet access at all and see if it comes up.

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 7.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...
    Best Answer

Posted May 14, 2021 06:02 AM

325's (nor 315's) has not been in used in Aruba Activate or Central. 

Anyway, I kind-of "solve" the problem:
    I changed switch port and by mistake, I added same virtual controller vlan into untagged vlan for new interface and 325 did join existing VC, booted up radios and started to work normally (after I added four additional tagged vlan's to interface hosting ssid's)

Weird thing was that interface config was 100% same than non-working port, cable was same and only thing was different was interface. 

Jori Luoto

• 8.  RE: Mixing IAP315 and 325 don't work...

Posted Jun 07, 2021 11:10 PM
    This does look a lot like firmware not being the same.  You may also check the DRT version.

Chris Wagner