Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

Posted Jun 03, 2022 02:23 AM
    Hi,

We have a new project with an Mobility Conductor / Controller architecture. We have three sites with two controllers on each of them. I wondering what is the best design to ensure that the AP of Site-1 connect on Site-1 and failover on Site-2 or Site-3 in case of failure. The configurations will be the same on the three sites.

I thinking about a cluster per site, and a failover between two cluster with the backup LMS configuration on the AP-Group but this only permit N + 1 failover and not failover between all clusters :
    There is other option to permit Failover like this ?

In terms on configurations on the Mobility Conductor, to keep the same configuration between the three sites, I planned to use Managed Networks folder like this.

Do you have any feedback about design like this ?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

------------------------------
    Marc Antoine Catteau

• 2.  RE: Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 03, 2022 11:22 AM
    My advice would be to have the AP System Profile point to the VIP for Cluster 1 be LMS, and the VIP for Cluster 2 be the B-LMS. If all 4 controllers are unreachable/down, I would then rely on the DHCP Options or DNS of aruba-master and in newer versions aruba-conductor for controller discovery upon boot. There is no tertiary setting for LMS.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

Posted Jun 03, 2022 12:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. Failover between cluster reboot the access point ?

Regards,

Marc Antoine Catteau

• 4.  RE: Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 03, 2022 12:45 PM
    No reboots when failing over to B-LMS. The AP will re-bootstrap which is quicker.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 5.  RE: Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

Posted Jun 08, 2022 07:24 AM
    Hi, Having Same type issue. I am researching Aruba vMC 8.5 at the moment and I am getting a little confusion on how failover works. I was considering to run Active-Active and load balanced with roughly 22xAP-315 across the two of them using two VRRP instances. The part that is not really clear to me is do the mobility controllers cluster to share configurations and allow the MCs to know which one has which APs? Or are they stand-lone and you need to configure each one as independent devices? I guess the configuration state clustering can only be achieved by having a MC Masters but I thought this was more suited for multiple site deployments are we are currently a single site. Any insight or experiences would be high appreciated. Thank you.                                                                         TellTims Survey

• 6.  RE: Mobility Controller - Multi-Site Design

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2022 08:15 AM
    My advice:
    Configure 1 VMC
    Introduce a second VMC using master redundancy
    Point access points to the VRRP between them using AP discovery or the LMS-IP in the AP system profile.
    Only the controller that has the VRRP priority can actually terminate APS and serve clients.

Yes, the configuration will be automatically synchronized between controllers
    There is no "clustering" or "load balancing" with this deployment.  That is only available with a network with an MM.
    This is not active/active because only a single controller can terminate APs at one time.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card