SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Forum to discuss HPE Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN and SD-Branch solutions. This includes SD-WAN Orchestration WAN edge network functions - routing, security, zone-based firewall, segmentation and WAN optimization, micro-branch solutions, best practics, and third-party integrations. All things SD-WAN!
Expand all | Collapse all

OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

Posted Jan 23, 2015 03:06 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a few HP 5900 switches that are connected to a Ryu controller application I'm developing for a software-defined network. The switches and the app are configured to use OpenFlow 1.3. I'm attempting to add buckets and groups to the switches via the OFPT_GROUP_MOD message. According the OpenFlow 1.3 spec, there are four group types:

1. ALL - Executes all buckets in the group. Support is required.
    2. SELECT - Executes one bucket in the group. Support is optional.
    3. INDIRECT - Executes the only bucket in the group. Support is required.
    4. FAST FAILOVER - Executes the first live bucket in the group. Support is optional.

My test showed that the only group type that can be successfully installed is the "ALL" type. Here's the log from my app:

add_group(dpid=0x1): Installing new group:
            groupId = 0
            buckets = [OFPBucket(actions=[OFPActionOutput(len=16,max_len=65535,port=45,type=0)],len=32,watch_group=OFPG_ANY,watch_port=OFPP_ANY,weight=0)]
            type = OFPGT_ALL

groupId = 1
            buckets = [OFPBucket(actions=[OFPActionOutput(len=16,max_len=65535,port=46,type=0)],len=32,watch_group=OFPG_ANY,watch_port=OFPP_ANY,weight=0)]
            type = OFPGT_SELECT
    error_msg_handler(dpid=0x1):
            type=0x0006 (Problem modifying group entry)
            code=0x000a (Unsupported or unknown group type)

groupId = 2
            buckets = [OFPBucket(actions=[OFPActionOutput(len=16,max_len=65535,port=47,type=0)],len=32,watch_group=OFPG_ANY,watch_port=OFPP_ANY,weight=100)]
            type = OFPGT_INDIRECT

groupId = 3
            buckets = [OFPBucket(actions=[OFPActionOutput(len=16,max_len=65535,port=48,type=0)],len=32,watch_group=OFPG_ANY,watch_port=OFPP_ANY,weight=0)]
            type = OFPGT_FF

I have a couple of questions that result from this:

1. Why does the HP 5900 accept my "ALL"-typed group but not my "INDIRECT"-typed group? "INDIRECT" should be supported.
    2. Are the "SELECT" and "FAST FAILOVER" group types supported by the HP 5900? If so, could they be subject to the same issue that I'm seeing with my "INDIRECT" group?

#OpenFlow
    #Ryu
    #SDN
    #HP5900

• 2.  RE: OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

Posted Jan 26, 2015 10:03 AM

Lewis,

At the moment I am researching your question with my colleagues. Do you have the switch software version you are running on the 5900?

Best Regards,

Carlos

• 3.  RE: OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

Posted Jan 26, 2015 10:07 AM

The switch firmware version is "7.1.045, Release 2311P01"

• 4.  RE: OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

Posted Jan 28, 2015 09:59 AM

Lewis,

Just to advise you, the issue has been recreated using the HP SDN Controller 2.3.5. At the moment I am waiting for an update from our engineering department.

Best Regards,

Carlos

HP SDN CoE team

• 5.  RE: OpenFlow Group Types on HP 5900 Switches

Posted Jan 29, 2015 03:27 PM

Lewis,

This is to advise you that your forum case has been escalated to the HP SDN engineering department. They have recreated the issue with the HP SDN Controller. There is no ETA on when they will have a solution. I will post a solution once one is provided.

Best Regards,

Carlos

SDN CoE Team